Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff Press Conference (1-13-16)

January 13, 2017 02:52PM

TRANSCRIPT: Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff following Head Coach Sean McVay Introductory Press Conference (1-13-16)

Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff following Head Coach Sean McVay Introductory Press Conference – January 13, 2017

(On his feelings towards the hiring of Coach McVay and the feeling that he was a part of the hiring process)

“I’m very excited. It’s been a process that, they’ve obviously handled all of it, they just asked me to come in and meet with him. I was able to spend some time with him and it was really, really positive, I can’t wait for it. I’m very impressed and very excited. I didn’t know at the time who they were going to decide on, but coming out of that meeting, I was like, ‘If they pick him, I’m going to be really excited,’ and ultimately they did. When I heard the news yesterday, I was very excited.”

(On how Coach McVay’s offensive philosophy fits his style of play)

“I think a lot of the stuff they do is really good. Ironically enough, during (watching) film you see a lot of stuff that teams run, and I told him this when I met with him, ‘I watched a lot of your guys’ stuff and I already liked it then,’ this was back in the season – I was like, man, that’s some good stuff that they do. Again, I’m just very excited, very excited to get going. I don’t know what the rules are on when you can start, but I’m sure as soon as we can, we’ll get going. I think he’s very excited and I think that our whole team and organization is very excited.”

(On what he liked about Coach McVay from his first interaction with him)

“I think right off the bat you can tell that his knowledge is extremely high, far higher than a lot of guys. They say he’s young, and (his intelligence is) far higher than a lot of guys his age. Just what we talked about, and our philosophies on offense, quarterbacking, and leadership and everything in-between is very the same and it aligns. Again, coming out of my meeting with him it was very positive. I felt like it was a guy that I could play for and hopefully play for, for a long time.”

(On Coach McVay’s age)

“I think it’s definitely cool. I don’t think that’s a deal breaker – I think of it in the opposite way, something that makes the pot sweater, but it’s cool. We are a young team, we are a young offense in particular, and having a guy like that who can maybe relate to us a little bit better could be beneficial. At the same time, I think his overall knowledge and leadership and the way he coaches are more important than that.”

(On if he felt like Coach McVay was coaching him during their meeting)

“No, he said that there was a lot of things he like about my game that he had seen in college, as well as the last seven games. There were a lot of things we did talk about as far as philosophy and how the quarterback position is played, and like I said, a lot of it aligned and that was really good to hear. The number one thing that I came away with is that the way he’s done things, and the way he plans to do things is everything kind of runs through the quarterback. If you like something it goes, if you don’t, it doesn’t go. I think that, as a quarterback, you can’t ask for anything more than that, you can’t, really, that’s as good as it gets.”

(On if he feels that this is a new start for him)

“I don’t know, there’s a lot of things that I can learn from, things that I did well that I’m excited about getting better with and a lot of things I want to work on. It is obviously a new start for our offense, we will have a totally different offense, different scheme and a lot of different things go into place. It’s a new energy, it’s an exciting time. I know myself, and I talked to a lot of guys on the team yesterday, that are excited for this.

(On what he likes about Coach McVay’s offense)

“They obviously throw the ball a lot, that’s fun. You see the past and what (Redskins Qcool smiley Kirk (Cousins) was able to do in the short time he was with him, is really impressive. Like I said, I’ve seen a lot of the stuff they do on film. I don’t know if I can break it down for you right now, X’s and O’s-wise, but a lot of the stuff I do enjoy and I do like.”

(On if there’s something specific Coach McVay can help him with)

“I’m sure. There’s a lot of things we talked about. There’s a lot of things, like I said, that I thought I do well that he agreed with, and a lot of things I need to work on, obviously. There’s always things you want to work on. I expect him to bring out the best in me. That’s really what he wants to do – not only the best in me, but the whole team. I think there’s a lot of guys that can have a lot more potential than they’ve shown. We’re very excited to get to work with him, and he’s very excited to get his hands on us, I think, and get to start molding this team and building this team for championships.”

(On the importance of Goff directly communicating with McVay as the play caller)

“It will be great. Last year our offensive coordinator called the plays, so I haven’t experienced that yet, but I don’t expect that to be too much of a transition. It will be a good thing – he’s called plays before, he’s experienced doing it and he’s done it well. It will be a good deal.”

(On how much Coach McVay reminds Goff of Jon Gruden)

“A lot. The way they talk, the way they talk football in particular is very striking. I think he might get a little tired of that compassion, probably wants to be his own coach. I think he’s got a lot of experience from those guys and a lot of knowledge from those guys, but I think he’s going to have his own twist on everything, as every coach does. I think he’s excited to get going, as am I excited to get to work with him.”

(On if it’s more important to make a philosophical connection rather than X’s and O’s)

“No. I think X’s and O’s are most important, obviously. I think you want to like the coach and you want to get along with him. So far, in my short experience with him, I do.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HC Sean McVay, COO Demoff, GM Snead (1-13-16)

Shaky1065January 13, 2017 02:51PM

Shaky508January 13, 2017 02:52PM

So Marshall Faulk's opinion had a lot to do with this hire?

NewMexicoRam334January 13, 2017 03:53PM

Re: So Marshall Faulk's opinion had a lot to do with this hire?

RounderRick326January 13, 2017 07:08PM

Re: So Marshall Faulk's opinion had a lot to do with this hire?

bigjimram21290January 13, 2017 08:03PM

He's a smart, instinctive guy with HOF cred. You bet.

RockRam301January 14, 2017 05:11AM

One thing I noticed in McVay's responses

LMU93370January 14, 2017 05:05AM

Re: One thing I noticed in McVay's responses

zn307January 14, 2017 05:10AM

C'mon. That's pretty cynical.

RockRam282January 14, 2017 05:14AM

I wasn't being cynical

zn298January 14, 2017 05:38AM

Rams43293January 14, 2017 05:17AM

21Dog321January 14, 2017 05:59AM

zn680January 14, 2017 06:03AM

hey names are important, nz!

SunTzu_vs_Camus205January 14, 2017 06:36AM

You gotta watch the video of the presser...

max293January 14, 2017 07:27AM