Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams begin coaching interviews, focus on new direction

January 03, 2017 05:18AM

Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- John Fassel would've been happy being a special-teams coordinator his entire life. He talked about that when he was named the Los Angeles Rams' interim coach. But that was 21 days ago. His perspective has changed since then.

"These three weeks have been probably the greatest, most educational coaching experience in my life," Fassel said Monday afternoon, shortly after meeting with the team one final time. "I would love someday to get the opportunity to be a head coach in the National Football League. So, yes, it changed my perspective in a matter of about three weeks."

Although Rams interim head coach John Fassel is unlikely to get the full-time job, the team appears hopeful to keep him on staff. AP Photo/Jayne Kamin-Oncea
Days earlier, Rams COO Kevin Demoff, who is leading the search for a new head coach, told Fassel to keep Monday night open so that they could chat about what lies ahead. The Rams would love to keep Fassel on staff, but he is highly unlikely to become the full-time head coach. Interviews for that position will ramp up on Tuesday morning.

On Monday, Rams assistant coaches were told they're free to seek outside opportunities, as is usually the case in these instances.

The Rams also spent Monday requesting permission to speak with current NFL coaches. That included Kyle Shanahan (Falcons offensive coordinator), Josh McDaniels (Patriots offensive coordinator), Matt Patricia (Patriots defensive coordinator), Sean McVay (Redskins offensive coordinator), Harold Goodwin (Cardinals offensive coordinator), Anthony Lynn (Bills interim coach), Doug Marrone (Jaguars interim coach) and Steve Wilks (Panthers assistant head coach), according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Another potential candidate is current head coach Sean Payton, who would only be available if the New Orleans Saints are open to a trade.

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill380January 03, 2017 05:18AM

Re: Rams need to stay focused in HC search.....

oldschoolramfan253January 03, 2017 05:34AM