Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Short-Lists for Head Coaches

January 02, 2017 11:06AM
I imagine this topic may have already been referenced ad nauseum, so I feel sort of guilty for broaching it again (sorry :-/). I'm just having trouble shaking my fear that the Rams might hire someone based more on splash than their potential effectiveness as a head coach. The reports that the Rams are interested in current head coaches are troublesome to be me because I think it's a potentially expensive move with more risk than is immediately obvious. (I'm not confident that coaches itching to get out of a situation they presumably elected are the types of coaches you want...If the team is yearning to offload them, then so be it, but I would be unwilling to offer much compensation in return).

Whatever direction they go, I do think that there are a lot of candidates to choose from. My personal short-list doesn't include any current head coaches and may differ widely from popular opinion, but I include it if only for the sake of catharsis:

1) Kyle Shanahan: I think Kyle's acumen as an offensive coach is overt. He's been effective with varied personnel in multiple locations (Houston, Washington, Cleveland, Atlanta), and I think a strong argument could be made that he's the most effective OC in the NFL. Kyle also appears to be a conscientious professional, and I've been impressed by the way he's conducted himself going back to his days with Washington. (I thought he did a good job of showing restraint and respect in the RGIII situation, and he seems like the sort of person who could deal with multiple personality types). Bottom Line: I think Kyle is a skilled and sensible coach who would do a great job of building up the Rams.

2) Raheem Morris: This candidate choice is probably my most provocative, but I think it has merit. He showed early signs of being a prodigious coach, overcoming a quick rebuild to get a young Buccaneers team to 10 wins in his second season. In his third season the proverbial wheels fell off with Josh Freeman's rapid regression, but I think time has granted us the benefit of perspective. The fact that Freeman didn't surge forward post-Morris and that the Bucs promptly burned through two more head coaches (included a highly respected coach in Lovie Smith) lends credence to the notion that Morris wasn't their problem. This is admittedly more of a gut call for me, but what I see in Morris is a savvy coach with great communication ability and a knack for building rapport. As it happens, he's currently the WR coach for the Atlanta Falcons which is a unit that is playing exceptionally well this year.

3) Josh McDaniels: I don't feel like I have a great sense of what McDaniels will be like as a head coach, but I think he's proved himself worthy of extreme consideration. He has an exceptional track record as a coordinator, and his time with the hooded one (both before and after McDaniels' head-coaching stint) may have afforded him special insight into what it takes to be successful. I've often heard rumors that McDaniels made a lot of mistakes during his first tenure as a HC, but I expect him to be savvier this go round. He's a smart guy, and I think the Rams would be remiss if they didn't bring him in for an interview.

Random Side-Note: if I were the Rams, I would wait to schedule interviews with candidates until after their seasons were completed. I'd inform the agents of my interest now, but I'd schedule the interviews no sooner than a week after the candidates' seasons ended. It's always surprised me when teams bring these guys in during the season. I mean, whose to say that a well-prepared interviewee in-season is even a good thing? It should be understood that their focus may rightly be elsewhere, so how can you evaluate them?

Think Freely, Live Well, Be Kind

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 11:10AM by shepherd18.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Short-Lists for Head Coaches

shepherd18937January 02, 2017 11:06AM

Why no Norv Turner mentions?

Ram49424January 02, 2017 11:07AM

Good Point Re: Why no Norv Turner mentions?

shepherd18448January 02, 2017 11:12AM

Re: Why no Norv Turner mentions?

stlramz389January 02, 2017 11:13AM

plus he is mediocre

ferragamo79401January 02, 2017 11:43AM

Re: Why no Norv Turner mentions?

BumRap403January 02, 2017 08:27PM

Re: Short-Lists for Head Coaches

bbfulton3419January 02, 2017 11:13AM

Re: Short-Lists for Head Coaches

BumRap314January 02, 2017 08:28PM

Re: Short-Lists for Head Coaches could be longer but still great read