Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Interim HCFassel, DC Williams, QB Goff and RB Gurley (12-22-16)

December 22, 2016 02:44PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Interim HCFassel, DC Williams, QB Goff and RB Gurley (12-22-16)

Rams Interim Head Coach John Fassel – Post Practice – December 22, 2016

(On how practice went today)

“Practice was great. The sun came out, and the guys were running around just like we would expect a couple of days before the game. So, we’re ready to go. Got a lot new bodies out there – a lot of hungry, young bodies that have something to prove, as well as the coaching staff.”

(On how QB Jared Goff looked in practice today)

“He looked good. He cleared the concussion protocol. So, he did everything all week in meetings and ramped up his work on the practice field up to today. So, he’s good to go – he looked good.”

(On if Goff will start against the 49ers)

“Yes.”

(On who will be the backup quarterback this weekend)

“(Qcool smiley Sean (Mannion) will be the backup. We talked about that earlier in the week, and then we saw how the week went, and he’ll be the backup.”

(On what he hopes to see from Goff in these last couple of games)

“I’m hoping to see improvement in, really everything – accuracy, decision-making, getting out of bounds, sliding, even the little things that are intricate to the quarterback position. He’s been a great leader, so that isn’t anything that’s ever been an issue. He’s studied. I think just in general, improvement in throwing the football, and making decisions with the ball in his hands.”

(On how excited Mannion is to be activated)

“He’s been anxious since the first game of the season, when he was active, and he’s hung in there the last 15 weeks, and abided his time. He has been in the quarterback room with (Qcool smiley Case (Keenum) and Jared every day – morning, noon, and night. He’s earned it. I’m sure if he has the opportunity, he’ll perform very well.”

(On comparing his comfort level now, as compared to when he first started in his new role)

“I don’t really feel any different, other than it hasn’t been as rushed this week. Last week, I felt comfortable – everything was just happening fast. This week, we’ve had a few extra days to kind of – a few extra meetings, a little bit more practice time. So, I feel very comfortable. I’m super excited and also a lot to prove.”

(On how beneficial is that extra day between games)

“It’s huge. It’s really two extra days. So, it’s real beneficial – really for the players, because they had the weekend off. So, we came back in here on Monday, it was kind of just like a normal week. So really, just getting a little bit of extra recovery was the biggest thing. It’s not like we practiced more or had more meetings, just a little bit of recovery time after the Thursday Night (Football) game, which is tough, physically, for the players on a four-day week. It was very beneficial.”

(On some keys to get out of the current losing streak the team is in)

“We talked about that today. We have to start faster. We talk about finishing, but we need to talk about finishing maybe at halftime – and we got to talk about starting before the game. Those are a few things we’ve talked about – whether it’s getting some three-and-outs on defense, converting short yardage on offense, third-and-1s, fourth-and-1s, which we missed out on last week. Trying to create field positions advantage on special teams better to help our offense out. Maybe get some of the 50(-yard) drive starts, or helping the defense out and getting us inside the 10-(yard line) for the opponent drive start. There’s a few things, a few points I made this morning in the team meeting to just maybe give the guys something to think about, and to strive for at the start of the game.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams – Post-Practice – December 22, 2016

(On practice today)

“It was really good today. And I’ve been really pleased with their focus the entire year. This is a good group of guys I got a chance to coach, I really do. As you guys have been around back at Oxnard and down at Irvine and everything, is that I’ve kind of broken them before I bridled them, I’ve been awful hard on them all year long. They respond very well and they’re all competitive young men that understand the nature of our game – they love playing, they love playing defense our way. We’ve had a decent few plays, we’ve had a few plays we’d like to have back each and every game. But I’ve been really pleased with their focus, their performance, their attitude, their communication. We’ve got really good leadership on that side of the ball, really good leadership.”

(On the mood of the coaching staff in the wake of Jeff Fisher and the Rams parting ways)

“Jeff’s a good friend of mine, but we’ve got to do our job. You can’t print what I would say. I’m a professional, we all are. You guys have already answered those questions.”

(On the 49ers)

“(Qcool smiley Colin (Kaepernick) presents a very mobile quarterback. He’s had some really big runs this year, he has a very strong arm – you can see that baseball product in him, he was a really good baseball player, too, growing up. He presents a very, very big challenge in the run game and the pass game. I think (Rcool smiley Carlos Hyde, if you guys want to look at an example about tough times, look how tough he has run all year long. I saw a stat the other day that came across my desk that, from about Week 11 on, he’s been averaging over 100 yards rushing, six yards per carry. He’s a person that, no matter if you do have a guy unblocked, he runs over them – and good running backs do that, when, all of a sudden, the scheme has broken down offensively, he tattoos you. And he’s broken a lot of tackles this year, so we’re going to have to tackle well. It’s a fundamental part of the year, we don’t have as many padded practices as we used to in the old days, but we still have to tackle at the end of the year. And good teams are good tackling teams at the end of the year. And even in January and February, they have to be good tackling teams. Our team has to tackle well in this ballgame because they are a good running team.”

(On what he learned about the defense after going up against a string of good offenses in recent weeks)

“They’re resilient, they’re young in a couple of ways. One of the things I talk about to them all the time is we don’t have repeat mistakes. Nobody makes a mistake on purpose, none of these guys do, there’s a lot of pride in that aspect. If a mistake was made, why was it made – we identify it, we get it cleaned up, it shouldn’t have been made in the first place, but it was. I don’t see those guys, in any point of the season, making repeat mistakes. There’s a lot of things that you’d like to say, as a coach, you could cover every single thing every week, you can’t, there’s just things that come up. We’re guessing about what the 49ers are going to do, we’re guessing about what the Patriots are going to do, on how we practice and the plays that we practice. But you get in the game, you have to respond. For the most part, our guys have done a very good job with that – there’s been a few plays that get away from us and we’ve learned from it.”

(On if the 49ers look different since the last time they played)

“It’s the same offensive philosophy, there’s different people in different spots. And one of the things I think (49ers Head Coach) Chip (Kelly) has done is, I think any coach does this, is when another guy does come in to a spot on your team, you have to adapt a little bit to his skillset. And they’ve adapted a few things, concept-wise, on how they block somebody or a route concept that they run, maybe it’s a better route concept that Colin likes, too, because this quarterback likes these things better than other ones. They’ve adapted a few things there, but there’s enough on film that we see that, it’s not something that’s going to surprise us, we see it. They do a good job coaching. I’ve got another thing, too, that’s going to be fun. I don’t know if you guys know that, but there’s a young man coaching up there I was a part of drafting in 1992, he played nine years for me, he coached for me here for a long time in this organization and now he’s the linebacker coach up there, in Joe Bowden. It’s interesting to see those guys grow from the tree of all the different young men I’ve been around, from coaches and players and everything, too. I’ll get a chance to see how he’s grown as a coach, too, and it’ll be good to see him. You guys watch this, one of the things that we’ll do is a lot of our guys will go over and hug him before the ballgame because they know they fine him every time somebody touches him. so we’re going to try to help get into his pocketbook and hug him up a lot right before the ballgame.”

Rams Quarterback Jared Goff – Post Practice – December 22, 2016

(On how he is feeling)

“Good, I feel good. I’ve felt good since about Saturday.”

(On if there was ever any doubt in his mind that he would be able to play on Saturday)

“No. Like I said, I was probably a little beat up Friday, but Saturday, I felt good.”

(On the sequence when he got hit in Seattle)

“I was running down the sideline, didn’t see (Seahawks CB Richard) Sherman, if I had seen him, I probably would have gone out of bounds. I didn’t see him, he kind of came out of nowhere. He made a hell of a play, after watching it on film, he came all the way from the other side of the field. He came across, I was going to try to get into the pylon, probably wasn’t going to be able to, either, because (Seahawks S Kam) Chancellor was there, but I was going to try. But I didn’t see Sherman, he came out of nowhere and he got me. I felt fine, he hit me in the head, but I was fine, it was just a regular hit. I got up, went back to the huddle, I heard the official blow the whistle and they’re like, ‘You have to get off the field,’ I’m like, ‘Why?’ They said it’s just protocol, whatever it was. I don’t want to go back too much to last Thursday, but I just think it’s kind of tough – if that’s a playoff game or if that’s a bigger situation, the game’s close, you take the starting quarterback off the field for – in my opinion, I know they’re trying to take care of us – but in my opinion, not really a very good reason. I don’t know how fair it is, but they’re trying to take care of us, that’s what the league’s trying to do, so I had to go through it.”

(On if he felt any lingering effects)

“No.”

(On if he agrees with Interim Head Coach John Fassel who says he has to learn when to get out of bounds and if it’s difficult when he’s trying to produce and score touchdowns)

“Yeah, I think it can be hard. But he’s right, I do need to protect myself a little bit better. Again, if I had seen him, I probably would have protected myself, but he kind of came out of nowhere there. But he’s right, I do need to protect myself a little better and try to balance the going-for-its and protecting my body.”

(On playing against his hometown team in the 49ers for the first time)

“Growing up a fan makes it a little bit significant, but it’s just another game to us. One that we should go out there and play well and hopefully come away with a ‘W.’ If we do what we should do, we should get a ‘W.’”

(On what he personally wants to get out of the last two weeks)

“I want to continue to feel comfortable. I was just talking about it in there with the pregame guys, I want to get my anticipation a little bit better, I think that’s more specific. Be able to anticipate guys, where they’re going to be, get the ball out faster, not hold on to the ball so much. Again, take care of myself in the pocket, I have to make plays when stuff breaks down and get rid of the ball when I need to.”

(On how beneficial the two extra days have been for the team)

“Good, especially where we’re at as a team. Guys are a little banged up, we needed a couple of days off, so the Thursday game last week actually helped. Able to get a lot of guys’ feet back, a lot of guys’ legs back. I thought we looked really fresh this week, probably one of the freshest weeks we’ve had, with the receivers especially – I thought they looked really good today. I’m excited for what they can do Saturday.”

(On if anticipation and throwing with anticipation is something that comes with experience)

“Yeah, it helps when you get more reps with guys. It’s only my sixth game now, so the more reps I get, the easier it’s going to get. It’s just something that I think will come with time. But I feel pretty good at it, it’s just something that I’m always going to work on. And I’ve always been fairly confident in my ability to anticipate – even in college, high school, everything. Every step you take, it gets a little bit more, and it’s no different with this, you just have to get better.”

(On his impressions of Jon Gruden when he participated in his quarterback camp for ESPN prior to the draft)

“He was great, he was great, he was cool. It was about three hours or so, four hours or so and they only show about a half hour, but it’s a long time in there. And it was cool, it was really good, a good experience, I was glad to meet him and it was really cool.”

(On Jon Gruden having him mention his 1-11 record from his freshman season in college and how much he still thinks about that experience early in his college career)

“A lot. I think about it all the time, just as far as what we’re going through and what I’ve been through in the past. It correlates, but it’s all different. We’re in a different situation and I think or team right now is much better than my freshman team at Cal was. So I think that we have a good chance to turn this thing around here, I think it’s going to be just fine.”

(On what steps he took in the concussion protocol before he was cleared)

“A lot of stuff. I had to take a test, I had to go see a doctor. And it all was fairly painless and quick. I passed everything and I’m good to go.”

(On the challenges that the 49ers defense presents)

“They do a lot of stuff. I think they’re very multiple and they just mix it up well. For us, it’s going to be a little bit of a challenge in their personnel, because they do have so many guys injured, so it’s going to be a little bit different. Going out there, we’re not really sure exactly who is going to be rotating in and whatnot because they have some new guys. As far as what they do defensively, it’s complicated and they do a lot of different stuff.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley – Post Practice – December 22, 2016

(On if the team is ready for Saturday’s game against the 49ers)

“Oh yeah, most definitely. It’s a game we’ve been waiting for for a little while. You just got to come back and get some redemption.”

(On how often he thinks about the Week 1, loss to the 49ers, in terms of redemption)

“It’s definitely not tough to forget. It has definitely an embarrassing game. Just one of those games nothing was going well. We’re definitely looking forward to it.”

(On how often he thinks about reaching personal milestones)

“I never did that. I never did personal goals. If it happens, it happens. If I told y’all at the beginning of the season I was going to rush for 1,500, and I’m at like 700 now, y’all would be talking and saying stuff (laughter). Just go out there and play your game.”

(On how he feels about his first season in Los Angeles)

“Obviously, it’s been a rough year for us. We didn’t have the success that we wanted. But, I feel like the fans are still excited. It’s a process. We had our ups and downs this season. But for us, it’s been more losses than wins the past couple of years. Just trying to get that transition to go from winning to losing.”

(On what he personally hopes to get out of these last two games of the season)

“Like I said, just finishing strong, playing some of our best ball, and just going out there and just putting good stuff on film. That’s what I look at it as.”

(On how beneficial have the two extra days of rest been for the team this week)

“You’d thought they helped out, until you got back on the field and realized you still feel like crap (laughter). It definitely was a good time just being able to have those couple of days of just relaxing and not doing anything. So, that’s always good for us players – just to relax our minds for a couple of days.”

(On if he senses in the locker room in terms of motivation for finishing the season strong)

“A lot of guys know what they need to do. We know a lot of guys are playing for jobs. We just want to go out there and not lay down, and just try to get these wins for sure.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky506December 22, 2016 02:44PM