Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams have no room to experiment: NO OCs or DCs for HC

December 19, 2016 01:06AM
It would be the greatest of risks and the 3 Stooges of folly for the Rams to select a hot DC or OC to be the new HC.
Just look around. Bradley a terrific DC, now fired as a HC. Gase a terrific OC, not doing so good as an HC. Todd Bowles is another example.

Nothing is riskier in the NFL HC business than to elevate a OC or DC to a job they've never held. The batting average of success is just too low.
I don't know how many times we've seen excellent DCs and OCs promoted only to fail miserably. Then to go back to being what they're good at, and once again succeed.

Being an HC is an entirely different job than being an OC or DC. It takes different skills.
Being a great fireman does not make for being a great fire chief.
Being a great chef does not make for being a great restaurant owner.
Being a great player does not make for being a great coach.

And it is a roll of the dice, big time, to promote a never before HC to that position. Much too risky for the uber market of LA, and a team that risks further alienating the fans in only 1 year after their Hollywood spectacle of moving here and then announcing the Disneyworld of stadium complexes. Nobody is going to come out to watch a bunch of losers play because the stadium is fabulous.

I would much rather see a successful college HC in a big division brought in because the positions correlate better, even though not precisely.
The best choice by far is a successful NFL HC, however it can be accomplished. And usually that means throwing money at the problem. Of that, Stan has a bottomless pit.

And I think Stan is too much of a pragmatic businessman to do anything but bring in a guy not only with HC experience, but who is a winner.
It is why Gruden or Harbaugh makes sense; but Kyle Shanahan does not.
McDaniels, maybe. But he tried his hand at being an HC and it didn't work out very well.
So is a failed or mediocre NFL HC better than a never-been HC? Didn't work out so well with Fisher.

I think Stan will go all out to get the NFL HC he wants. And he better be a hard nosed disciplinarian to get this bunch of Junior High Schoolers that Fisher is leaving behind to play like professionals.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams have no room to experiment: NO OCs or DCs for HC

RockRam476December 19, 2016 01:06AM