Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

back from the game- view from Foxboro

December 05, 2016 04:29AM
View from Section 120, Row 21...

Fun day at Gillette Stadium yesterday. Clear and sunny and about 40 degrees, mild wind. Pretty chilly... Stadium was shaded where were were (closed endzone, 4th row above the field level bar). Ended up seeing more Rams fans than we expected, I'd guess 50-60 so maybe a couple hundred in the stadium. The father and son next to our seats were also Rams fans. They met Tyler Higbee's mom at a Dunkin Donuts before the game.

My own perspectives up close...

Pretty tame crowd, I have to say. Honestly, probably spoiled... Late arriving, not nearly as loud as the Superdome. People in our section chatting and not watching and walking around the concourses a lot. Also quite a few more inebriated people than the Saints game... Not much grief from Patriots fans. A few "maybe next year" or "hey look, a Rams fan!" comments on the way out. Guy behind me (very drunk) taps me on the shoulder (wearing my #85 jersey) during the game and slurs "whoooosss Youngblood?..." He had to be at least 40 and I just said "Really?.."

Offense: Weather was a factor in that I think the receivers had a hard time with catching a cold ball. The football is hard in the cold and I don't think they were prepared. Not an excuse as we all saw the 4-5 drops. And it's not like it was 20 degrees. But it is what it is. Quick was the only WR that really showed anything at all, though he had a couple more he should have come down with.

By the way, at the 2:00 warning (4th and 11) I got up to go to the bathroom. Come back and the Rams are at the 2-yard line right in front of me. I missed the pass to Britt. Typical.....

Goff was slightly off, not nearly as sharp in his timing as I saw at the Superdome last Sunday. A crossing pattern to Cooper was a foot behind him vs. a foot in front, etc. Still holding the ball too long hoping something comes open, very typical of a rookie, but 3 of the 4 sacks were because of that. But also again very calm, not rattled, seemed in command of the "offense."

There's just no beating around the bush. The Rams offensive line is really bad. I mean really. Bad. Patriots TV and radio analysts after the game and this morning are amazed at how poor that unit is. This team is all in on Goff and Gurley so the offseason personnel upgrades have to start there. I watched different OL a lot on drives closer to us. There is just no way around the fact that Robinson and Barnes have to go. Actually with Barnes I'd equate him to Keenum- he's a good guy you'd like to have on the team and can handle spot starting, but he's just not a starting NFL player. Make him the backup center and lose Rhaney. Havenstein and Brown probably played best, though Havenstein got beat on the edge by Ninkovich for a sack. Blocking in general didn't pick up blitzes well. As in almost at all...

I hate to say it but when Kendricks dropped that pass that got picked off I knew the game was over. I had said all week that the only way the Rams stay close is with zero turnovers. They were going to lose no matter what because of Brady and coaching but it could have been more respectable if the receivers at least held onto the ball. I don't think they missed Austin, honestly. I was glad to see Cooper get playing time.

Defense: I'll start by saying Matt Longacre is better than Eugene Sims at RDE. He is. He's a better pass rusher, faster. Sims blew outside contain a couple times and outside contain in general as a team was sloppy. That's how Blount scored that opening TD.

The defense really wasn't bad at all apart from that run and the TD pass to Hogan which was near us and just a beautiful throw... They really did settle down and play well after that 2nd TD. The Rams defense was more physical than the Patriots. Credit Brady for still at age 39 being able to slide around in the pocket and avoid 2-3 sacks. Westbrooks was probably our most disruptive DL Sunday. Pass rush overall was again not very good. Of course the Patriots game planned by having so many quick and short throws to negate it but when Brady did drop back he wasn't harassed the way the Rams needed to. I'm not sure if Quinn would have helped much but sure would have been nice to have him in there of course (especially instead of Sims). Donald wasn't as disruptive as I thought he'd be. The Patriots also clearly were looking ahead and wanted to manage Brady's knee issue this week.

I thought Joyner, Barron and McDonald had good games. I didn't notice when #35 Jordan came in but once I did I watched him. He wasn't bad in the face of clearly getting picked on by Brady and WR Malcolm Mitchell. Didn't allow any big plays, kept things in front of him. Defended one pass.

When your offense puts that much stress on you as a defense plus you're playing Tom Brady on the road you're in a tough spot. I thought this could have been something like a 27-16 game if the Rams didn't turn the ball over and it looked that way to me in person.

Special teams: Hekker is special.... He really is. And Marquez is a fabulous gunner and special teams player.

That's about it. As I said last week it speaks to where I am as a fan because I did have a lot of fun at both the Saints and Patriots games. But I'll be glad to be home next Sunday watching the Falcons game....

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 04:54AM by LMU93.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

back from the game- view from Foxboro Attachments

LMU931066December 05, 2016 04:29AM

Great stuff, LMU..

sstrams325December 05, 2016 05:10AM

Great report as usual, thanks! nm

max236December 05, 2016 05:26AM

my suggestion

21Dog263December 05, 2016 05:28AM

Re: my suggestion

LMU93252December 05, 2016 05:31AM

Great photos!

GreatRamNTheSky233December 05, 2016 05:38AM

on Kendricks

PHDram372December 05, 2016 06:03AM

Re: on Kendricks

LMU93258December 05, 2016 06:37AM

Re: on Kendricks

PHDram246December 05, 2016 06:46AM

Kendricks is fine

zn221December 05, 2016 09:01AM

Re: Kendricks is fine

PHDram195December 05, 2016 10:14AM

gunners

21Dog228December 05, 2016 06:13AM

Thanks LMU...Great Jersey!

Ram Fan Teacher232December 05, 2016 06:17AM

Re: back from the game- view from Foxboro

Rams43233December 05, 2016 06:22AM

Rams43 rejoinder on "view from Foxboro"

canuckramsfans212December 05, 2016 08:00AM

Re: Rams43 rejoinder on "view from Foxboro"

Rams43204December 05, 2016 11:13AM

DE has killed them all year

Hazlet Hacksaw214December 05, 2016 06:52AM

Re: DE has killed them all year

LMU93226December 05, 2016 06:58AM

Did you go to the Jets game????

Ramgator281December 05, 2016 07:10AM

Re: Did you go to the Jets game????

LMU93213December 05, 2016 07:26AM

Greg Robinson: Highest Rated Offensive Player Yesterday

Ram49334December 05, 2016 07:29AM

Re: Greg Robinson: Highest Rated Offensive Player Yesterday

PaulButcher59227December 05, 2016 08:33AM

"highest rated"

LMU93219December 05, 2016 08:52AM

Kind of like being the tallest pygmy in the tribe.

guinnessram203December 05, 2016 09:28AM

receivers had a hard time with catching a cold

Atlantic Ram198December 05, 2016 09:25AM

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

mexram209December 05, 2016 11:15AM