Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

back from the Superdome....

November 29, 2016 04:55AM
Game view from Section 517, Row 1....

Back from New Orleans and what was a really great weekend. Yes, including the game. I guess it says a lot about where I am as a fan because we had a great time throughout...

I didn't take notes or anything and didn't see everything going on but just my own game day observations.

The Game

Pre-game we went to 'Champions Square' outside the Dome which was a lot of fun. Live music of course. Saw I don't know maybe 60-70 Rams fans in jerseys and shirts during the course of the day. A couple locals commented that they expected to see more. Very welcoming and polite- apparently Saints fans only dislike Falcons fans. All others welcome... Superdome looks in good shape to me for being 45 years old. Our seats were first row at the railing of the 2nd level, 50 yard line on the Rams side. So great views. Sat next to a nice couple from western Canada who said they were Seahawks fans visiting but had on Saints shirts and cheered for them. Their first NFL game.

Goff was among the 2-4 players leading the Rams onto the field. He sprinted all 100 yards up the sideline, turned and started his warm up throws.

My general impressions of Goff: He's extremely composed. Noise/crowd didn't bother him. Didn't seem confused at any point at all. Was directing traffic with the WRs pre-snap, pointing out the defense, etc. Keeps his eyes downfield. Good feet. Saints made a point to pressure him from his right side. Kid can move around pretty well. Great arm. For his 2nd career start and first road game I thought he was impressive. Typical rookie QB that holds onto the ball too long. But zero red flags.

He was looking for Higbee downfield several times when he checked down. His one bad decision was the INT into double coverage- not sure if there was a better option elsewhere. A few overthrows on out patterns otherwise but I also think part of that was making sure it was away from the defender(s).

Spends all his time on the sidelines with Weinke and Keenum. All of it.

You know who's locked in during the game? Keenum. He was encouraging each of the OL before they go on the field for the 1st drive. He'll periodically stand to the side and just works on his drop backs. Stretches and stays loose. Goes right over to Goff and Weinke after every series. Good teammate.

Quick seemed to line up wrong a few times which led to the directing traffic by Goff mentioned above. Maybe others but I didn't notice specifically.

The Goff fumble in the 2nd was a killer. As was the 60-yard run on the first play after halftime. The other turning point to me was mid-3rd when it was 35-21 and the Saints had 3rd and long from their own 10 and got a 30+ yard pass to Thomas. If the Rams hold there they get the ball back in good field position. The door just seemed to close on them there.

The offensive line was much better with Saffold at LT and Brown at LG. And in fact I watched Donnal and he didn't do badly when he had to go in. Hate to say it but if Saffold can't play this week I think I'd go with Donnal at LT vs. Robinson. Tried to find Robinson in street clothes on the sidelines but couldn't find him.

Defensively, well, I'll say this. I think it really actually could have been worse. I don't know who blew assignments but the open screens/swing passes were just totally wide open. To me I think a big part of the defense's issue is when they get pressure it's from the DTs (Donald, Brockers and Easley). Aside from Quinn's sack they just don't get pressure from DE. Virtually none.

My general impression defensively was they were selling out early to stop the WRs and big plays and it opened up the Saints' running game. The Saints have a pretty big OL and the Rams, with Barron and Joyner, are really basically playing a 4-1-6 base defense. Plus the Saints went to a tackle eligible/six man OL probably 7-9 times. So if the DL doesn't get penetration they have trouble. TEs also were given those 8-12 yard comeback routes all day. Saints fans wanted PI on Joyner on the deep ball but he had turned his head and I thought a good non-call.

Fairley was talking quite a bit to the Rams sideline as the game progressed. Didn't really get a sense of the Saints/Williams thing or Saints having any extra motivation to running up the score seeing it live.

Leader of the defense is clearly Ogletree. He is talking to guys on the sideline a lot. Defense stays pretty spaced out with the DL, LBs and DBs all sitting in groups. For a couple minutes before the game started I thought Quinn was inactive. He had a hat and sweatpants on during the national anthem. Puts them back on frequently.

My general impression was Gaines and Alexander had bad days. Not torched but a step or two late all day. Brees is just an elite QB and sees the field so well, very accurate and calm.

Special teams- Hekker is something to see. My first time at a game in person since he's been a Ram (my last game was 2011 @DAL). His accuracy with placement almost looks easy. If there's an NFL record for all-time punts downed inside the 20 by the end of his career he'll probably have it. Rams coverage units are also very good. And Cunningham is an excellent KOR. He gets good blocking by Harkey, Rhaney, etc.

That's about it for the game... By the way, wore my #11 Everett jersey and got a lot of comments from Saints fans. As in they remember Everett pretty fondly from his three seasons there.

The City
I just need to say New Orleans is easily one of my favorite US cities. Repeat after me- Bourbon Street is not New Orleans. If your impression of New Orleans is filth and stumbling drunks on Bourbon Street you're wrong. There is some dark and seedy stuff you'll see for sure. But there is SO MUCH more to it. The culture and history of that city is amazing. The city gets nicer literally by the block the further you get away from Bourbon. It has the most amazing food in the country in my opinion. The people are about as welcoming as can be. We were stopped probably 6 times by Saints fans before/at the game who asked if we were enjoying the city, if we were being treated well, and thanking us sincerely for visiting. How often does that happen at other NFL games?...

So if you make a trip to New Orleans don't waste time walking up and down Bourbon Street. Go to the jazz clubs lining Frenchman Street and you'll hear amazing music and be with more locals than tourists. Stroll down Magazine Street in the Garden District and see the historic homes. Get a drink at the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone and hear great live music in that lounge at night. Have barbecued shrimp at Mr. B's Bistro. Go see Louis Armstrong Park at the edge of the Treme (pronounced "tre-May" ). Walk along the Mississippi. Go to one of Emeril's three restaurants. We did a fantastic 2.5-hour walking tour of Treme (and by the way that is a great HBO show...) that taught us so much about the 300-year history of the city, the origin of jazz- and rock and roll by the way- in New Orleans, the complex history of slavery, free people of color, French and Spanish influence, what really went on after Katrina, and more. After dinner one night we met the owner of the cajun restaurant on our way out who asked where we were from and thanked us for coming and then insisted we take free beers in our cab for the ride back. Only in New Orleans... We went to a bar in Treme Sunday night at the advice of our tour guide and were the only two white people there out of 150 people and were extremely welcome.

There is a quote by Tennessee Williams that says "“America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland.” He makes a good point...

That is all. On to Foxboro this weekend where I doubt the fans will be as cordial... But I'll report from there next Monday too.

LMU93

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:10AM by LMU93.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

back from the Superdome....

LMU93971November 29, 2016 04:55AM

Great report! thanks. nm

max287November 29, 2016 04:59AM

great report LMU nm

21Dog306November 29, 2016 05:00AM

Great writeup '93..

sstrams299November 29, 2016 05:01AM

Nicely done!

Guard290November 29, 2016 05:03AM

Re: back from the Superdome....

stlurams375November 29, 2016 05:14AM

Good read... Thanks !!! ...nm

varam314November 29, 2016 05:43AM

Thanks. Good stuff nm)....

wv ram300November 29, 2016 05:44AM

Re: back from the Superdome....

Rams43294November 29, 2016 07:57AM

I was oddly moved by yer report, LMU

SunTzu_vs_Camus302November 29, 2016 09:50AM

Re: good stuff LMU

Speed_Kills278November 29, 2016 09:56AM

agreed, Speed....it's mostly bout Goff....

SunTzu_vs_Camus290November 29, 2016 01:29PM

Re: thanks for all the info

leafnose272December 01, 2016 04:19AM

awesome report

ferragamo79367December 01, 2016 07:40PM