Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HC Fisher, DC Williams -- Post Practice -- November 25, 2016

November 25, 2016 12:14PM

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – November 25, 2016

(Opening remarks)

“Good week. We’re heading out. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) had a really good day – as a matter of fact he had a really good week. It’s just that sign of being more and more comfortable in the offense. Like we say, big challenge – we expect pressure and he’s going to have to beat it. But we healed up a little bit. (DE) Will (Hayes) came back off of a personal issue with his family and everything’s fine there. (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley) stayed inside. We asked him to stay inside today with an illness. It’s just one of those things that’s kind of going through the team and its taken its turn and he was the recipient, last night or this morning. But he’ll be fine, we expect him to be fine. Good week, we’re ready to go.”

(On how much he thinks the one game experience has helped Goff in preparing for this week)

“It’s the carryover from the stuff that we put in last week – we either used or didn’t use that you carry over into this week. He’s honest about things. He comes up and says, ‘I don’t like this concept. I don’t feel comfortable with it.’ So, you take it out of the game plan, that’s just common sense. There’s a big difference in the last two weeks. He knows what to expect now. He also understands that it’s going to be loud, and we’ve got to use the solid count, and all that kind of stuff. He’s going to have to communicate real well in the huddle, but he’s prepared for it.”

(On if there’s an emotional factor in regards to Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams returning to New Orleans)

“No, not at all. Obviously, he won a Super Bowl down there with them. I’m sure he’s got a lot of friends, but no, he’s focused on what we’re doing.”

(On how healthy team is right now)

“We’re in pretty good shape. Right now, I’m expecting everybody to play. Considering what other teams are going through, we’re in good shape. We’ve had a few guys. It’s like (C) Tim (Barnes) can’t practice, but he’ll play. I think he’ll be back on the practice field next week, but I think ‘Timmy’ will be ok in the game. He’s smart enough, and has enough snaps under his belt to where you can trust him to go out there and play with them. In the meantime, (C/G) Demetrius (Rhaney) gets a lot of great reps at center, while Tim has been out. But, we’re healthy, which is good.”

(On building Goff’s and Barnes’ chemistry when Barnes isn’t practicing)

“Well, he watches every snap. He talks to Jared. They watch the practice together, they watch tape together, they do all that stuff. They get the mental reps, even though ‘Timmy’ is not getting it.”

(On if facing an offense like the Saints will alter his game plan to a more aggressive approach)

“Yeah, we’re going to have to do whatever we can to score points. The same thing, when you talk about our defense, I think you would agree that field goals are wins for the defense. Sevens aren’t good, but field goals are good. You can make a play on defense, or have a big play on special teams and overcome a couple field goals, but you can’t just let them in the end zone as often as they’re getting there.”

(On mentioning that there were competitive situations at a few positions and if he’s made any decisions)

“When I reference the word ‘competitive’, it’s from a competition standpoint with respect to the Saints. So, if we make any roster changes, you’ll see Sunday, which is fair.”

(On if he’s made any changes to the offensive scheme with regard to getting the ball down the field)

“We’ve had a good week of practice. We pushed it down the field in practice this week. If we can carry things over from practice to the game, then we should push it down the field.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams – Post-Practice – November 25, 2016

(On if he has been back to New Orleans as a coach since his final season as Saints’ Defensive Coordinator in 2011)

“I’ve not coached in a game down there, but I’ve been there several times. My oldest son lives north of New Orleans, so I’ll get a chance to see him, too. He works in the league office now, which is always kind of cool. He was on my staff when we were down there with the Saints. This is the first time going back down there and coaching. Really looking forward to it, got a lot of great memories, a lot of good feelings, a lot of good people there that I still stay in contact with.”

(On if he has any bittersweet feelings going back)

“No, no, no, no. That’s just part of it, that’s part of our league. You guys see the stories year after year after year. It’s just part of what we do.”

(On how he thinks the fans will receive him)

“It’s not about that, it’s about these guys playing. These guys are down there, they’re ready to play. So it’s not about me.”

(On if going against Saints QB Drew Brees in practice helps his preparation for this week)

“I know things about him, he knows things about me, too, in a practice situation. Even when I share things with (QBs) Case (Keenum) and Jared (Goff) and some of the other young quarterbacks, there’s nobody I’ve been around that’s more precise in what they do, go about the profession the way he goes about it. He’s at the building at 5:30 in the morning. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, he might leave at 10:00, on Friday nights he doesn’t stay, very seldom does he get out of there (before) 11:30 and midnight on Friday nights. One of my fondest memories was in the Super Bowl (with) him, it’s 10 minutes before curfew and I go up and I’m looking at all the rooms to make sure there’s nothing left in the rooms and stuff, on the ground, and he’s in there doing the first 15 (plays) to video – nobody around, chairs out of the room and he’s playing the game the night before the game. He presents challenges because of his understanding of the game. It’s always fun to compete in practices with him and now in a game. And I had a chance to compete against him in games before I ever went down there, too. He’s been in the league a long time.”

(On how much he game plans against the play-caller as opposed to the quarterback when playing against a quarterback of Brees’ caliber)

“A combination of both. But, one of the things we take a look at each and every week is who’s the dominant personality. And Drew and (Saints Offensive Coordinator) Pete (Carmichael) – now Pete’s doing the play calling along with (Saints Head Coach) Sean (Payton) – they’re some of the best play-callers in the league now. Things run through that quarterback. And when you’ve played as long as he has, he has say. We understand that, we understand that as coaches, we understand that in our game plan, too – what pictures are we presenting to them, what match-ups are we presenting, how are we playing in the fronts. Because he’ll have the final say, and as a quarterback, they’ve got a good check system down there with what he does.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky744November 25, 2016 12:14PM