Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jared Goff 'confident and ready to go' as Rams' starting QB

November 16, 2016 05:09AM

Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Late Monday afternoon, hours before announcing the decision that would officially send this franchise into a new era, Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher provided an update on Jared Goff's state of mind.

"He's anxious," Fisher said. "And confident."

Goff is the starter now, supplanting Case Keenum heading into a Week 11 home game against the Miami Dolphins. The Rams traded up 14 spots to draft Goff No. 1 overall this past April, then forced him to wait, watching as rookie quarterbacks took their snaps throughout the league. Over time, the 22-year-old grew increasingly anxious.

Now?

“Anxiety is over," Goff said, smiling after his first practice as the guy under center. "I’m good now. I’m confident and ready to go. Ready to play, ready to get back to playing football. Back to doing what I love -- my job -- and hopefully it's the start of what will be a long career.”

Some of Jared Goff's teammates said that the rookie quarterback has made a noticeable improvement during practices this season. Justin Edmonds/Getty Images
That will all depend on how much growth Goff did in the 11 weeks that have separated him from training camp.

Goff -- coming from an air raid offense at Cal, which didn't necessitate calling plays from the huddle or taking snaps from under center or, most times, making multiple progressions -- looked rattled in the preseason. He went 22-of-49, throwing a couple of interceptions, fumbling three times and generally struggling with a game that appeared to move too quickly.

It was so bad that he didn't even dress for the regular-season opener.

He was a third-stringer, then a backup, an observer throughout.

"I saw a lot of stuff from the sidelines, as much as you can see during the games," Goff said. "I learned from a lot of the things Case did, good and bad. It’s been a long process, I guess, trying to pick up everything and get ready for it. I think I have, and I think I’ve been ready for a little while."

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill381November 16, 2016 05:09AM