Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Game 9 Jets In person ...

November 14, 2016 07:54AM
We had seats on the lower level on the 30 yard line courtesy of my amazing mate (our 15 year old came too).

Before I do anything else I want to give a shout out to the Jets fans for being decent and mellow ... even pretty funny honestly. My experience in Baltimore last year was not pleasant.

I missed the warmups ... except the final stuff ... Goff and Keenum throwing on the sideline and Greg kicking 55 yarders like they were nothing. Gotta say the way the ball comes out of Goff's hands makes me really look forward to the future. My guess is that we'll get a trade offer for Keenum in the offseason and he'll depart for a contender or QB hungry team that needs time that is just a game manager away.

It's nice to be 4-5 rather than 3-6 ...

I got to see things I couldn't have seen on TV that gave me a better sense of what is going on. I got to see the whole field all at once ... figure out what kind of coverage we were using at times when I was confused before. I got to see how fast our WRs got into their routes whereas I could usually just see their first steps. I got to see how fast the secondary reacts to plays, be it pass or run, and how quickly they get from where they are (usually off screen) to where they need to be.

Also, I know most would feel bad for my live experience to be a 9-6 game ... but after last year in Baltimore with penalty after penalty after penalty and ugly nasty football ... This was actually quite a treat.

The Great

1) Britt. I haven't been able to watch his whole game on TV ... can't see his routes from that angle for some reason, or how well he runs them in comparison to everyone else. He's on pace for 1250 yards this year if my math is close ... and he's honestly the best offensive player. Over Gurley. His routes are precise, he battles at the POA ... and he gets upfield after the catch. I know we're all bummed at the offense this year, and rightfully so ... but Britt is playing good football.

2) Trumaine ... I isolated on he and Brandon Marshall a lot. Trumaine is likely the best CB in the NFL that no one talks about. Whatever he costs, let's get it done. If he wants a Jenkins size deal? I'm all for it. He's just going to get better.

3) Ogletree's pick. That's something ... the burst, closing speed, reaction time, etc. that most players could not have done. That's one spot where pure athleticism may have saved us a ballgame.

4) The best moment of the game was Hekker's punt. The crowd near us was awestruck ... so were we of course. The ball went 85 yards in the air. It actually looked like it was still going up 50 yards into the flight. I know on TV everyone probably saw the poor return man running for his life ... but the height and distance made it possible to not only push them back, but to actually cover a punt of that distance. Of all things in the game I will not forget that.

The Good

5) Troy Hill played like a beast. His read and react skills seem to be superior to everyone but Tru.

6) GZ 3/3.

7) Gurley seemed to wake up a little ... and the offensive line seems to have an endurance that other teams don't have. They were both markedly better in the second half.

8) Pharoh sighting! He made a nice grab.

9) Lamarcus Joyner on the goalline standing up Forte. Man.

10) Case's deep ball to Britt ... he's obviously got a real feel for Britt's speed now. It was a perfect ball.

The Bad

11) Tavon's miss on his deep out cut ... he wasn't ready when he came out of his break ... it was a perfect pass. I have to say I think that while he's an awesome "threat" weapon that a defense has to account for ... he's not really a "usable" weapon. It's like having a great pitch that you can't throw fro a strike ... guys like Jamison Crowder will have long careers making almost no money doing what Austin should be doing, but doesn't. It was a bad play and a bad signing.

12) The WRs do not get off the ball fast, or into their routes fast. "Sluggish" is actually how I would describe them. At that speed it's much harder to disguise the routes ... and in my opinion that is why Britt gets open and no one else really does. Pharoh Cooper has more of a spring in his step .. and I don't even know if he gets the route tree yet.

13) Gurley is having a sophomore slump ... he's not at full speed. He's not bouncing plays that should be bounced. We'll learn a lot about him how he finishes this year and what kind of shape he is in next year coming to camp (my understanding is that he came in heavy this year). Right now I'd be giving Benny more carries ... 8-10 a game and Gurley 15 until he shows more tenacity and burst.

14) Benny should have scored.

15) Our O line vs their D line was funny. They are super talented, so I'm not dogging them as much as being almost aghast at how overwhelmed they were. It wasn't until the end of the game when the Jets D were obviously gassed and out of motivation (it was visibly obvious in their body language) that we handled them at the POA. Our linemen seem to lack "balance" in their form ... and they look like they get "surprised" often by the tactics of their opponents. I don't know enough about O line play to describe what I'm seeing. But it's like they have a plan at the snap, and if the defender is not doing what they expect then they lunge and lose their form.

16) Gaines has to turn his head on bombs.

17) Easley's personal foul? Really changed field position.

18) I figured out what people mean by the statement "Case can't challenge defenses." The way the ball comes out of his hand looks like it's going in slow motion. It doesn't "leap" off his hand (it lept off Petty's) so every defender is going to be able to get another half step jump on his throws ... on TOP of his lacking velocity. This makes it even harder for him to not turn the ball over and MUCH harder for Boras to design plays that find intermediate routes ... because once a player gets a fix on where he's going to throw it, he has the time to to close the gap on the receiver. That's what they mean by "can't challenge" ... it means the defenders are never scared when he throws the ball. Never surprised.

19) Ummmm ... why isn't Greg attempting 57 yarders? No wind in the stadium. He was making 50 yarders in warmups like they were nothing. We should have had 15 points.

The Ugly

20) We can't score from the 1 against a top D line? We don't have enough passing and running plays to make that happen with Gurley? Why?

21) We are on the edge of field goal range, and go backwards TWICE? You know what's not a great idea on 3rd and 4? A deep pitch to Gurley against Sheldon Richardson. Case had enough time to look and see that he was there, and still pitched it ... it's like they set a trap, we stopped and looked at it, and then walked into it.
The other play? Why was Case surprised at the intensity of the pass rush? Where was his "Oh No!" outlet?

22) The fact that we are going to have to, as fans, wait for whatever Fisher is waiting for with Goff. I have full faith in the kid. I do. Case works his butt off and I'm okay with him as a leader. He just gives us a handicap we are having a hard time overcoming. I get that he has his own plans for the kid ... but it's ugly for us as fans to watch and have to deal with when we're already frustrated.

23) The Pats not helping us out.

College

24) I'm looking at my boards as they develop ... I focus on team needs first and have just added CB to S and DE. (Remember, DT and OT, while needs, are terrible this year) There is a LOT of talent, and I am looking at getting 2 DEs and 2 DBs in the draft and supplementing after. There are a few talents at CB that I would consider if they fell to round 2 (Tankersley, T White) and a WR (C Davis) ... but the DE pool will still have first round talent when we pick in the second.

25) Im looking at Darboh at WR in the 3rd ... unremarkable statistics. But a battler. Big kid. Pro ready under Harbaugh.

26) A 4th round safety is likely an impact starter in this coming draft (in our system), albeit likely in year 2.

27) There seems to be more "length" at CB this year, and we should take advantage of that.

Anyway, thoughts and comments welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2016 07:55AM by alyoshamucci.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Game 9 Jets In person ...

alyoshamucci1248November 14, 2016 07:54AM

Re: Blinkscout Game 9 Jets In person ...

Rams43424November 14, 2016 09:04AM

@43

alyoshamucci541November 14, 2016 05:38PM

Re: @43

Rams43469November 14, 2016 07:18PM

RamJr349November 14, 2016 09:17AM

Hardest to watch victory in 43 years of Ram ball

brownsugar490November 14, 2016 09:17AM

Re: Hardest to watch victory in 43 years of Ram ball

Rams43422November 14, 2016 09:30AM

Good read, bro...as always...

SunTzu_vs_Camus308November 14, 2016 09:42AM

Gurley

Hazlet Hacksaw403November 14, 2016 12:02PM

Gurley has to read the whole with his line being pushed backwards...

jemach399November 14, 2016 02:32PM

Re: I see Zeke bounces plays and making the first guy miss.....

laram400November 14, 2016 04:45PM

Re: I see Zeke bounces plays and making the first guy miss.....

Rams43345November 14, 2016 07:23PM

Your dead wrong..

waterfield540November 14, 2016 07:40PM

Re: Look no further than Cunningham

dzrams386November 14, 2016 08:17PM

You an I need to sit down and analyze game film together....

JamesJM410November 14, 2016 08:35PM

Re: You an I need to sit down and analyze game film together....

dzrams352November 14, 2016 08:44PM

on Gurley and Benny.....

Rampage2K-418November 14, 2016 05:15PM

Re: Blinkscout Game 9 Jets In person ... Great report as always, NM

sfbayram342November 14, 2016 08:41PM

BobCarl356November 15, 2016 03:11AM

great read again nm

21Dog301November 15, 2016 04:47AM

leafnose524November 17, 2016 03:05AM

agree on the GR holding penalty....

SunTzu_vs_Camus362November 17, 2016 06:10AM

Re: agree on the GR holding penalty....

Rampage2K-544November 17, 2016 08:59AM

Re: agree on the GR holding penalty....

govane329November 17, 2016 12:09PM

Re:Ogletree burst and closing speed...

laram404November 17, 2016 05:18AM

Do you have any thoughts on James Washington WR OK State?

Drew2839332November 17, 2016 06:01AM

Re: Do you have any thoughts on James Washington WR OK State?

alyoshamucci385November 17, 2016 08:30AM

Keenum is a free agent at end of the year

ferragamo79371November 17, 2016 07:24AM