Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sympathy for the devil....

November 10, 2016 09:16AM
that would be Fisher on this board and in most media's opinion. Sympathy is all gone for fans...with regards to Fisher.
He's, apparently, become mediocrity incarnate and embodies the reason for nearly all our lack of success.
As fans we are tired of losing and our hopes dashed every year. Is that any different from being fans of other teams in the NFL?
It's not....and most every NFL team forum has the same posts we do - ie. hope, anger, depression, regime/player change etc.
We all get to be critics.... and it's our human nature to do this.
btw - this post is NOT to convince anyone of anything...everyone has their own relationship to the Rams.
I don't care if you love Fisher or hate him or want the team gutted or staying the course...that's yer biz. I get it.
I am just doin my yearly post(lol) on these matters at the mid-season point. I'm just postin thots.

Psychologically, any person who has ever played sports KNOWS how fragile human psyche (momentum/confidence) is for any team.
How hard is it to create/build as opposed to tear down or fend off inevitable entropy?!! Freakin hard!!
As a human, it's one of our biggest strengths and weaknesses - together wrapped in skin.

I just want to say that I think it's pretty amazing this team plays hard every week for Fisher. Every week.
The team may play bad, but they have NOT quit on themselves, each other and their HC.
THAT....is pretty amazing to me. Sports have always been a great metaphor for life......to me, anyway.
Think about a lifeboat & crew lost at sea.......and are stranded in the doldrums. Hopeless.
(think Shackleton, etc - Capt Bly? lol). How does one have hope in the face of the black void?
.....and for how long until any hope fades and resignation/depression sets in and no one is rowing in unison.
The only way out is to NEVER give up on yerself and especially the other crew members...and keep rowing as hard as you can...until yer sinews fail.
That's why sports is a great metaphor for....life....and all it's existential predicaments that demand your participation.

How does the defense NOT turn on the offense's ineptitude and create rifts among the team??
How to keep players still engaged and not resigned?? For years??
Q: What has been the thin line from keeping the team from falling into entropy??
A: Fisher.
.....this ability is Fishers greatest asset to this team. imo

Look, offensively, I have many disagreements with Fisher...but we have 2/3s of a very good football team after 5yrs
(which I would expect after that duration...even with 2 of those 5yrs we lost our starting QB ).
In every game, sans the 1st/49er one...we could have won in the 4th Qtr. Just a few plays away.

QB was a position seen as the last piece of the puzzle for us. F&S made a bold move from 15 up to #1 and got us our QB/young gun(btw - one of the biggest draft jumps in NFL history - so, yeah it's gonna cost). That's some guts and real gambling. Folks always say Fisher blew all those high picks...but he's also the guy that wheeled & dealed to have them as opposed to what we used to do when drafting....basic picks and very little trading(Spags, Linehan).
We are an aggressive team in the draft and getting personnel..and I like that. We have an aggressive defense...I like that.
We have strong STs and I have learned to appreciate that. Our offense has been a "trying" experience for me these past 5yrs...
but that's cuz I'm an outlier and student of the Martzian School of Passing Madness.
I have learned to appreciate the running game...but I am, at heart, a 40+/per game passing advocate...so, I actually enjoy our last 3 games of wild passing.
Groh has done a good job with the passing game as it's the only way we are even moving the ball until the running game returns.
It's proven that we DO have WRs who CAN get open & make plays...

So, here we are...again at the mid-season point with exhaustion & frustration for more than a decade now. I have no idea if Fisher will be fired or extended. I do think that having the 32nd rated offense(w/3 Pick6s in only 8 games and many INTs, etc)...and STILL being able - in position - to win the 4th Qtr is pretty amazing...
and frustrating.
Teams are making CK pass our way to beating them...and he's ALMOST pulling it off. almost.

Building consistent play is very hard in anything let alone the NFL. We are constantly 3-4 games from the play-offs every year.
BUT....I still see us as a young solid team that's missing....somethin(we have thot the QB is that thing..and I think it's true....still).

I feel bad the wins have not come but I appreciate that we are in EVERY game and it's close....despite a 32nd rated offense.
How on earth can we even be close - in position to win these games with no offense?! It's kinda like the Alamo to me.
Effort was good but they came up short on the battle scoreboard. How do we view what they did?
Is it all about the winning or losing of the battle?? Are there other metrics to be considered or is it simply that black & white....win or lose is all that matters?! No moral victories, right? Davey Crockett = Loser?
Or is there somethin more sublime?? Inspiritus.
(The Latin word, Inspiritus, means “breathe” and contains the word for “spirit”: together, to breathe in and be filled with the spirit, which is what it means to be alive.)

Anyway, to close my lifeboat metaphor....here we are - together - in a lifeboat with little hope. What will we make of this moment?
Well, thank goodness our young Rams have not stopped rowing and they ARE still buying what Captain Fisher's selling - despite what the world around them is yelling.
The players have not quit on Fisher or each-other....yet. The players see Fisher and hear his spiel like we do and they are still willing to play hard every game like they have. If it's good enough for them...it's good enough for me.

btw -
I struggle with writing and clearly have little concept of sentence structure. I really apologize for such a hard to read - disconnected post(dead end metaphors that don't fit). But that's how my dyslexic head works.....that's what I have to work with. It's all I got.
and so I just keep rowing....all the way to the Alamo. winking smiley

"L'audace, l'audace. Toujours l'audace!"
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Practice Report 11/9: Working to Increase the Points

RamBill798November 09, 2016 08:21PM

Re: Practice Report 11/9: Working to Increase the Points

Rams43293November 10, 2016 06:31AM

sympathy for the devil....

SunTzu_vs_Camus553November 10, 2016 09:16AM

Just for some sobering perspective...

Rams43306November 10, 2016 06:43AM

offensive points per game