Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

none of the above

October 28, 2016 02:09PM
LARams17
Just curious, when Fisher said Goff would start "sooner than later" ... when did you think he would start?

None of the above. The remark is deliberately open-ended. It is meant to let them be flexible without any pre-determined deadline. They did the exact same thing last year with Gurley.

So to me the comment about sooner rather than later is just yet another open-ended remark that allowed them to be flexible and play it by ear. The main thing always was---he would start when they thought he was ready.

Notice the question he is being asked here first. Why AREN'T they announcing Goff as a starter right off?

I bold all the other comments which, like yours, just simply show them being flexible and deliberately not setting deadlines. You cannot isolate that comment from its context, where it is just one more in a series of statements setting things up to be flexible and open-ended.

(On not announcing that Goff is going to be the starter from Day 1 like other teams have done in the past)

FISHER: “Well everybody is different. Jameis [Winston] is different than the next quarterback.We have always had the philosophy that we are going to play them when we think they are ready.We aren’t going to subject them to fail, so whenever that is you are going to see him under center. We aren’t going to come out Day 1 and announce that he is a starter. It’s going to happen pretty soon, sooner than probably later. We have some things to do coaching wise, he’s got to learn our offense, he’s got to get to know his teammates, get in sync with his receivers. So when that happens, I don’t know, but that has always been our philosophy.”

(On the expectations of Goff being the star of the team)

FISHER: “He may start the opener on Monday night, we don’t know, but that’s the goal. If he doesn’t, as it stands right now, [QB] Case [Keenum] will do it, and Case has won games for us. We understand the environment, believe me. He does too. We have had lengthy conversations about it. If I had concerns about Jared being able to handle this then we probably wouldn’t be talking about Jared right now. He can handle it, when he steps under center? I can’t tell you.”

/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2016 02:20PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff: Sooner than Later comment

LARams17793October 28, 2016 01:00PM

Re: Goff: Sooner than Later comment

dzrams259October 28, 2016 01:44PM

none of the above

zn364October 28, 2016 02:09PM

Re: none of the above

LARams17274October 28, 2016 02:35PM

Re: none of the above

zn244October 28, 2016 04:34PM

Re: Goff: Sooner than Later comment