Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Don't know if posted, but Martz discusses Goff and the Rams

October 28, 2016 03:29AM
From the LA Times, through PFT:

[www.latimes.com]

Martz likes what he sees from a couple of rookie quarterbacks, Dallas’ Dak Prescott and Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz, but was a bit more circumspect on the topic of No. 1 pick Jared Goff, who has yet to make his debut with the Rams. He’s careful not to second guess the decisions made by his former franchise.

“I don’t know anything about why they’re not playing the quarterback,” he said. “Anytime you have a guy like that you’re so invested in … maybe they don’t feel comfortable with what they’ve got around him. That’s the only thing I can imagine, but they know what they’re doing. I’m sure they’re doing the right thing with him.”

Martz calls himself a “huge Goff fan” and said he likes everything about him as a player. His good friend, Ted Tollner, worked with both Goff and Wentz before the draft.

“I put the tape on and watched Goff play in college, and I was mesmerized,” Martz said. “He made some throws that only really elite players can make under duress. To me that’s the difference that can make a great player, what they do under duress. Just the skill level to make a throw off-balance, and then knowing you’re just going to get your butt kicked. That’s what Kurt did.”

Martz has a special appreciation for what Minnesota offensive coordinator has done with quarterback Sam Bradford, bringing him up to speed quickly and playing to his strengths, and said it’s “hard to imagine Atlanta not being a factor in the playoffs.”

In the AFC, he said New England can never be discounted, and, with Pittsburgh banged up, thinks the door is open for Cincinnati to ascend.

As for returning to coaching, Martz said: “Never say never. It’s possible, but unlikely.”

By all appearances, he’s happy in retirement. He said he can watch 31 NFL teams – everybody but the Rams.

“Mentally I just start coaching again when I see the helmets and uniform,” he said. “It’s just emotional for me. I know it’s stupid, but it brings all the emotion back in me.”

That, even the master can’t disguise.

Now, my comment. I found it interesting to read that Martz thinks there is a possibility that the Rams feel they don't have the people around Goff that he needs. Of course, Martz was never afraid to put his QB's out there in situations they could get hurt. Could Martz's comment also include that maybe the Rams don't have the coaches there that Goff needs? Interesting that he also can't watch the Rams play as he "starts coaching again." Hmmmmm.......

NewMexicoRam
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Don't know if posted, but Martz discusses Goff and the Rams

NewMexicoRam686October 28, 2016 03:29AM

sorry NM

21Dog233October 28, 2016 05:29AM

No problem

NewMexicoRam221October 28, 2016 10:01AM