Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Someone Please Help Me w/ The Decision Not To Go For It On 4th Down?

October 10, 2016 06:20AM
The Rams are down by 7 points in a game where our offense had trouble scoring, but their defense had recovered from a shaky 1st half. We're midway through the 4th quarter and, despite our offensive troubles, we're on the Bill 4-yard line. But it's 4th down.

Now, considering the above-listed scenario, I'm unsure as to why Fisher didn't go for the TD. Granted, unless he was going to go for a 2-pt conversion, Fisher was going to need 10 points to win the game in regulation.

But what was the downside to going for it on 4th down? OK, I get it...if you don't make it, you walk away with nothing when you could've had 3 points. But OTOH, the Bills would've been backed up on their own goal line with a diminished playbook and our defense - a defense Fisher clearly trusted to get a stop.

If the D gets the expected stop, the Bills would've been forced to punt deep in their own territory and, even though their punter did a great job yesterday, the Rams should've enjoyed good field position to start the same TD drive they'd ultimately need anyways had they kicked the FG the series before.

Instead, Fisher elects to kick the FG. The defense holds, but we lose field position when the Bill punter uncorks one. Some way...somehow...Fisher expected the exact same offense that he didn't believe could punch it in from the 4-yard line minutes before was going to now march down the field for the elusive game-winning TD?

And it seems as though Fisher finally caught up with his own faulty logic when he ordered the fake punt - another dubious call.

What am I missing here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 06:22AM by ramBRO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Can Someone Please Help Me w/ The Decision Not To Go For It On 4th Down?

ramBRO437October 10, 2016 06:20AM

Re: Can Someone Please Help Me w/ The Decision Not To Go For It On 4th Down?

Rams43188October 10, 2016 06:29AM

napoli181October 10, 2016 06:36AM

ramBRO213October 10, 2016 06:45AM