Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

it's simple

October 02, 2016 05:46PM
mexram
I mean he is easy to root for and he did make clutch throws, but also missed some real easy ones. We are 3-1 for the first time since I can remember but I just can't make up my mind regarding Keenum, I'd like to see him grow but it's also so frustrating at times it's hard to remember that he is real young still and this is his first season as a true starter... I don't know, it's just a funny feeling I guess...

It's really simple. Keenum is as limited physically as he appears to be. He's not smooth and consistent. But he's a gamer. The thing about Keenum is that he has a head for the game, he has very good field instincts, and he's a devoted student of the game. Plus he has a little improv to him. He has shown that in a few games now. The games where that stuff did not come through? It's much harder for the Rams to win.

A good contrast is DieterBrock. Brock was never that much of a leader and gamer. He wasn't much of a thinker out there. He was an arm. That is ... when he threw, which wasn't that often (cause of Dickerson). So while Brock was okay as a qb on a team that had Dickerson, Keenum turns out to be a good qb on a team that can't get Gurley going.

Think about one key difference above all, and what it reveals. Brock had a cannon for an arm. Keenum doesn't have Brock;s arm but he adds a long game to the Rams arsenal. He does it through the kinds of things you work on, instead of just taking physical skills for granted. You can throw long if you have the timing, anticipation, and the decision making skill to pull the trigger on it. That all comes from work.

Keenum is scrappy but he could not play if he did not maximize his advantages by being smart and a gamer.

BTW this is twice in a row now the Rams came back from behind on the road to win. Keenum is a part of that.

So the limitations are all there but he has enough magician in him to pull a few rabbits out of the hat.

If all you notice is the limitations, then you really don't see him clearly.

Personally I think he's the best #2 caliber qb the Rams have had since I don't know when. (I really do mean #2 CALIBER qb. So I am not comparing him to Warner, Green, or Bulger, who were all starting CALIBER qbs who just happened to be on the bench behind a starter...which is not the same thing.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 05:51PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Keenum is such a gamer

RamUK868October 02, 2016 04:59PM

Don't you want to keep him around as the backup?

LesBaker319October 02, 2016 05:02PM

Re: Don't you want to keep him around as the backup?

Arkansas Ram377October 02, 2016 05:12PM

Agreed. Rams are so much better with Keenum.

GreatRamNTheSky327October 02, 2016 05:04PM

It's weird...

mexram374October 02, 2016 05:32PM

yep....ala Haden the early yrs........nm

Arkansas Ram306October 02, 2016 05:41PM

it's simple

zn312October 02, 2016 05:46PM