Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I just think we have little choice but to accept what is happening

September 29, 2016 06:27PM
RockRam
I've pointed this out before, but it is important to acknowledge:
Goff is 21 years old.

Wentz and Prescott are both 23 years old.

It matters. At these younger ages, every year brings a level of physical brain development (I have a very close friend who is an expert on this), and of physical development.

Goff needs to add some strength and weight. I saw him get knocked around pretty good in preseason. A little more strength and another 10 pounds will help that.

I will also add that while Palmer nicely says the Rams are a "very good" team, I beg to differ. They are very average. And their WR corps is less than average and has everything to do with why the Rams are only average.
I do think the Oline is developing, has depth, and is going to be quite solid by years end assuming no mass injuries.

I have NO idea how Goff will ultimately turn out. I do know that a rookie QB can have a great 1st year, and then he never gets much better. Luck. RG3. Sam Bradford all come to mind.

So while comparisons are difficult, and some here bristle when I use the Favre/Rogers comparison, how about the Kitna/Palmer comparison? Point being that it certainly helped Palmer to sit and watch for a year, and he attests to that. And he's had a good long career that could have been even better if he didn't suffer some serious knee injuries.

In the end, rather than predicting the outcome 3 years from now, I prefer to wait and see. But I'm not about to second guess the Rams staff for deciding that Keenum gives the Rams the better chance to win for the moment. They aren't blind; they know that Keenum is really a back up level QB talent. But at the moment he starts mostly because he knows the offense so well and because he knows what he's seeing in front of him better. Plus, my math says that he has won 5 out of the 7 starts he's had with the Rams, including the last 2. I suspect that at some point, Fisher will decide that Goff knows the offense well enough, and seems to have a better sense of NFL D's, that he'll take over as starter because his size and arm talent and arm quickness are clearly superior to Keenum's. Of course, should the Rams go on a winning streak, even on a 2 out of 3 kind of path, he's not going to mess with success and he shouldn't.

I think the stuff I red-bolded is just true. I doubt anyone sees it differently. So we;re completely on the same page with that.

On the stuff I blue-bolded. Yes some high-picked qbs did well as rookies. Most don't. The ones that did well in the last 8 years include Sanchez, RG3, and Luck. Well actually what I am counting is if the team could win with them as rookies. With those 3, they did. But then a couple of those regressed afterward...and IMO with RG3 it was more than the injuries..

BUT most did not play well as rookies, and for the most part, teams that started rookie qbs did not win. In fact it's about 3 or 4 to 1 with the majority not doing that well.

Wentz, if he sustains this, will probably be a huge exception. But he doesn't tilt the percentages.

When he starts, which I assume is this year, Goff will have some rookie issues to overcome. Most do.

BUT yes---I agree---he does have the talent to be a good one.

AND I also agree that Keenum is just being (mostly) an efficient #2 type put in a placeholder role. We know that when he's efficient enough to get a qb rating of 80 or better the Rams win. The games where he is less than that in the last 2 years the team is 1-3. If you go back to 2014, the team that started him has won 7 of ten times. When he has a qb rating less than 80, they are 2-3. The 7 wins he has a qb rating of 80 or better.

He is of course not the sole or central cause of those wins, but if he is effective enough to get at least a qb rating in the 80s, he apparently is contributing to winning, or at least not losing.

He's not the longterm answer. Or let's just say, if he were, then they made a mistake tendering him for one year with back-up qb money then trading up for the 1st pick and taking a qb. But no fear, they did not make a mistake that way, because he's not the longterm answer.

He has just, in the majority of cases, done enough to help the Rams win.

Goff when he is ready will do more.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 06:39PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cardinals QB Carson Palmer can relate to Jared Goff

RamBill703September 29, 2016 06:17AM

Should be required reading

LesBaker373September 29, 2016 07:52AM

I just think we have little choice but to accept what is happening

RockRam393September 29, 2016 08:33AM

I wonder the age of Cam Newton, Stafford

ferragamo79372September 29, 2016 10:00AM

Re: I just think we have little choice but to accept what is happening

zn389September 29, 2016 06:27PM

Good article, though not sure what Fisher meant about Wentz