Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach Dirk Koetter – Conference Call – September 21, 2016

September 21, 2016 09:15AM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Head Coach Dirk Koetter – Conference Call – September 21, 2016
(On trusting QB Jameis Winston with the offense as a rookie last year)
“In our case – you just mentioned, every case is different – In our case, Coach Lovie Smith made it perfectly clear from day one that (Qcool smiley Jameis (Winston) was going to be our guy. In my role at that time as the offensive coordinator, it’s just a matter of figuring out a game plan to give him a chance to be successful.”

(On the challenges dealing with a young quarterback)
“The main question you have to deal with is how much do you give him – you know, how much do you give him? If you recall, Jameis first pass of the year, it was a third-and-three or third-and-four – first pass of the year it was a rookie quarterback, throwing to a rookie receiver and it ended up being a pick six. The guy jumped the route and it was a pick six. We definitely had some rocky beginnings. In Jameis case he played a lot of big time games at Florida State, under pressure situations, in front of big crowds. But still, we had to figure out how he was going to do in the NFL. It was definitely a learning experience and I think it took a good four weeks. I’ve said many times, I think the turning point for Jameis was week four against Carolina, when we turned it over multiple times that’s when he came to the realization, we got to do a lot better job of taking care of the football.”

(On being more willing to deal with the growing pains of a rookie quarterback even if it impacts what happens in the win-loss column)
“I would say there is some truth to that and the key ingredient there is that every situation is different. Again going back, in our situation last year it was made clear from the start that we picked Jameis number one and he was going to be our starting quarterback, and we were going to build around him. After that decision is made, as an assistant coach, it’s easy, not easy to do. I mean the direction is very clear, you’re going to follow directions and do your best to get it done.”

(On the biggest progression for QB Jameis Winston from year 1 to year 2)
“This is a very humbling league, so some of those answers that I would’ve given you after Week1, when we went on the road against Atlanta and got a division road victory, might be a little bit different, because we certainly went to Arizona last week and got humbled real fast. Sometimes when you think you’re making progress, sometimes it’s two steps forward, one step back. But I would say, the biggest place where I’ve seen Jameis make his most improvement, is in his movement in the pocket, and his ability to extend plays, and make plays outside the pocket, or broken plays where he’s been able to turn those into positives.”

(On if has become a challenge to develop an NFL quarterback, coming from a spread offense in college)
“I think that’s a fair statement, that it is more challenging. But again, I think that’s on a case-by-case basis, because Jameis was not a spread quarterback; and (Qcool smiley Marcus Mariota is doing excellent in Tennessee as well. So, I still think good players are good players, no matter what system they come out of. And that’s why everybody in the league, if they’re taking a look at a spread quarterback, they’re trying to do their homework to figure out how is this guy going to project into this system that they’re going to put him in the NFL.”

(On his thoughts regarding K Roberto Aguayo after having a disappointing preseason)
“I think in Roberto’s case, just realizing that in the NFL you’re paid to do a job, and you’re expected to do it. I think kicking is a lot like golfing. Once in a while, you can get off track in your fundamentals, and kind of get the ‘yips’ like a golfer would, and he went through a…it’s only really a three or four day period where he was struggling to hit the ball consistently, and he worked through that. Mentally it’s tough, because when you miss kicks that you should make, you’re going to get called out on that by your teammates, by the coaching staff, by the fans, by the media. But Roberto, his record in college speaks for itself. We have high expectations, and really think that he’ll live up to those.”

(On if being a second round pick put more pressure K Roberto Aguayo in any way, shape, or form)
“Yes, yes I do think that, because it’s so unusual that a kicker is selected at that spot, and it received a lot of attention. I don’t know if he reads the newspaper, I don’t know if he goes on the internet, but if he’s like most kids his age, he probably does. I’m sure he’s reading about it. When you’re drafted in the second round, it’s all positive until you miss your first kick; and then he missed his, not only his first kick, but the first kick of his preseason career. Again, it’s a humbling league. You can be built up, and you can be torn down very quickly.”

(On some of the challenges facing a Gregg Williams defense)
“I did coach with Gregg in Jacksonville, and the challenge is that Gregg always got plenty up his sleeve. He’s always multiple, he’s always going to give the quarterback a lot of looks, he’s willing to bring pressure from any place on the field, he’s willing to bring unusual pressures. Everywhere he’s been, his guys on that defensive unit play extremely hard for him. They’re well coached across the board, and anytime you’re going up against a Gregg Williams defense, you know you’re going to have your hands full all day.”

Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston – Conference Call – September 21, 2016

(On his experience being the No. 1 overall draft pick and the challenges that he went through)
“I think the biggest thing is just being a good teammate to your teammates, finding out the personalities and finding out the guys that you’re going to be battling with for the beginning of your career. Once you get on their good side, the football part is the easy part. I think just the team camaraderie, that’s the biggest part – the football, that’s the easy part.”

(On when he felt comfortable that he was able to get on the field and contribute and be a productive NFL quarterback)
“I was blessed to have a good college head coach that kind of helped me with the concepts – I think just the verbiage was different with me. I think you just have to go out there because you never know when you’re really ready. You just have to go out there and compete. This year, I’m obviously more comfortable because this is my second year. Just going out there and competing and fighting for your teammates the best you can.”

(On what he remembers from playing the Rams in 2015)
“I got hit a lot. They have a great defense. And it was a fun game – people remember it as the ‘ketchup and mustard game,’ that’s why I remember it. It was a very fun game. The Rams just have an excellent defense.”

(On if he has noticed a dramatic change going from year one to year two)
“Yes, sir. Absolutely.”

(On what changes specifically)
“Just being more comfortable with the offense.”

(On if him continuing to challenge defenses no matter what the situation is developed in college or where it comes from)
“We’re just out there competing. I don’t really try to shy away from guys, I just try to do my best to challenge them and compete against them. It’s the game we play and that’s our offense. Our offense is basically us against them. There’s no reason to be scared, I just have to be more smart.”

(On where his leadership comes from)
“I just think it comes from my love of the game of football and my true understanding of that the game that we play is the biggest team game in the world. You need all 10 guys out there on the field with you and I just try to do my best to motivate the guys that are out there with me so we can all be at our best.”

(On what the difference has been with having Buccaneers Head Coach Dirk Koetter as his head coach instead of his offensive coordinator)
“Not much of a difference. Coach Koetter, he is just adjusting to this head coach thing. I’m excited to have him as the head man. He’s going to forever stay in control of that offense and he’s going to keep bringing that fire and that passion to this team.”

(On if he feels like he has a little bit more control over what gets done with the offense this year)
“I just feel like I’m more comfortable in the offense, which allows me to have more control of the offense just by my comfort level and by my knowledge of the game plan and what we have got in store.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blue and Gold447September 21, 2016 09:15AM