Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lots of good questions here.

September 12, 2016 09:15AM
Too many questions ... but that's to be expected with a team hoping to break out of mediocrity. In so many areas, we are not yet ESTABLISHED.

Now, although I can't answer all your questions, I do tend to boil things down a bit when looking at our offense. We have to be better than we were. But, for me, our passing game doesn't need to be dramatically better ... IF ... our running game is more consistent and our D is stingy with points.

I believe I've seen enough to be confident that our running game is considerably better this year. That changes the dynamic significantly. Last year, it was moribund most of the time with the occasional big run when the scheme broke just right against the defensive scheme. That's inherently inconsistent, and it led to a lot of 3rd and more than 6. That puts pressure on the passing game, which was generally chaotic.

Now, I THINK our passing game is more sound this year with a settled in Case. I don't think it will be BETTER, per se, but it is I think more soundly capable. That plus a significantly improved running game will, I think, lead to a bit more scoring. I could see us averaging 17-20 points a game. I can't see a lot more, unless Higbee and Spruce are enough to make a BIG difference. Not sure that will happen this year. And I have zero expectations from Tavon.

But, see, all of that is fine given a defense as sound as it is disruptive. And, see, the defensive questions you rightly raise can ALL be helped by consistently sound deployments. You can minimize the damage of a weak CB and erratic S by not requiring them to do too much in an exotic blitz package. Or, you can hang them out to dry, give up huge plays, and then blame "execution." A smart DC does not ask a dodgy CB to execute assignments that a great one can handle.

All of which leads me back to me mantra, of which you guys may be getting tired.

If Williams plays sound schemes that put the game in the hands of our DL, we are going to do well. If he goes exotic and the D breaks down, we don't have enough offense to make up. For me, the questions you raise all lead back to this key.

Well, that's my hobby horse. Others will have other main keys.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My key to the game: solid, containing, suffocating defense

RFL389September 12, 2016 08:40AM

Re: My key to the game: solid, containing, suffocating defense

Rams43309September 12, 2016 08:57AM

Three more...

Rams43218September 12, 2016 09:03AM

We need a good screen game!

RFL241September 12, 2016 09:19AM

Re: My key to the game: solid, containing, suffocating defense

roman18230September 12, 2016 09:08AM

Lots of good questions here.

RFL204September 12, 2016 09:15AM

minimize mistakes...

LMU93205September 12, 2016 09:19AM

Amen

RFL235September 12, 2016 09:23AM

Re: Amen....Penalties and Offensive execution.....

oldschoolramfan242September 12, 2016 09:30AM