Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sometimes I just want to throw things when I read posts about Goff

September 03, 2016 08:15AM
Hot damn!!! Well said

RockRam
I swear. It is amazing how no matter how much logic, history, or stats PROVE that only a handful of rookies contribute a great deal to their teams (of COURSE some do!), and how few rookie QBs do much in their rookie year, and how much better off a team usually is if they have a good enough veteran to give that rookie a year to acclimate, fans and media still go nutz when a rookie high draft pick (especially a Qcool smiley doesn't look like a vet fresh out of the box.

But the short memories are especially maddening.

Weeks before the draft, every TV GM, draft guru, former players (especially former QBs), former HCs and current college HCs, talk about how high expectations are for rookie QBs, and how foolish it is to have them. Even fans display tempered thinking. And that the best thing that can happen to most QBs coming out, no matter how high they're drafted, is to hold a clipboard for a year because there is so much to learn. Now throw in for Goff that they don't even have stable training facilities; he's about to move into their 3rd facility in a matter of 4 months. And they KNOW they don't have very good WRs and the Oline are a bunch of young guys with little experience.

AND.....because except in rare circumstances a college QB is not playing in a system that is at all compatible with the NFL. They're playing read/option, spread, Air Raid, no huddle, all sorts of stuff that works well in college because it better fits the available athletes and because the quality of players on D that they face have a disadvantage.

AND.....typically if a kid is really good he comes out early, so he doesn't have the maturity, physically or mentally. Yes......some DO....but rarely. Goff is a skinny 21 year old.

Ah, but once the draft happens and a QB is drafted high, all that goes down the drain. Suddenly the same people who counseled reasonable expectations a few weeks earlier now go negative if a rookie QB doesn't look in his first preseason game like the second coming of Peyton Manning; then he's a disappointment. If he struggles, maybe he was a mistake.

Or like Goff, he is very inconsistent. One great throw, one head scratcher. Complex NFL defenses flumox him; he hasn't got his speed up to match the NFL speed yet.

This stuff about "MOST' NFL ready was media talk.

It was wrong to have had Bradford start in his rookie year, even though for a rookie he did well. Injury, bad habits, and ghosts of non-existent pressure started building up in his head. Bad WRs, not very good Oline. The confidence and swagger that the best QBs have never happened because a) Bradford was on a bad team, and b) he wasn't ready to start. Same thing happened to David Carr. Same thing happened to Couch. Guys whose career trajectories might have been very different had the team they were on surrounded the QB with much better players, and had the young man had a year to learn while not under duress.

I have no idea how Goff is going to do in the long run. Nobody here does either. When I watch the good passes he makes that fly like lasers into tight windows, it is amazing. I see him deal with the spotlight very well. He stays positive and doesn't deny it when he doesn't do well. I think he's going to be a darn good NFL QB, but I've been wrong before (I truly thought Bradford would grow into it, but to be battered, bruised and beaten and seriously injured changed the entire equation).

We'll see. But I have said since before training camp, that my druthers is that Keenum looks sharp during camp and preseason games, and he starts the season as the QB with Goff on the sidelines learning, observing, and safe.

I got with wish.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jeff Davis from RamsWire on Goff situation

dodgerram1547September 03, 2016 03:54AM

Fisher really isn't smart...

max505September 03, 2016 04:35AM

Sadly, I'm in the same boat

Drew2839480September 03, 2016 07:05AM

Re: Jeff Davis from RamsWire on Goff situation

zn543September 03, 2016 04:37AM

reggae325September 03, 2016 04:47AM

agreed, I think Fisher gets 4-5yrs in new contract

SunTzu_vs_Camus355September 03, 2016 04:52AM

spot on, zn

SunTzu_vs_Camus374September 03, 2016 04:49AM

max365September 03, 2016 04:54AM

I agree Max, winning is what matters

six2stack359September 03, 2016 05:10AM

dodgerram372September 03, 2016 05:21AM

Agree with all of that

NewMexicoRam352September 03, 2016 05:58AM

Re: Agree with all of that

dodgerram364September 03, 2016 06:47AM

I don't see the conflict

NewMexicoRam405September 03, 2016 06:56AM

bigjimram21442September 03, 2016 04:49AM

Sometimes I just want to throw things when I read posts about Goff

RockRam456September 03, 2016 06:02AM

I just want to throw things when I read posts about Goff

Anonymous User408September 03, 2016 06:33AM

Re: Agree.....And another take on this topic.

oldschoolramfan418September 03, 2016 07:16AM

dodgerram467September 03, 2016 07:27AM

oldschoolramfan376September 03, 2016 08:02AM

dodgerram411September 03, 2016 08:06AM

oldschoolramfan412September 03, 2016 08:07AM

AlbaNY_Ram399September 03, 2016 08:37AM

Great Post...Teachers are soooo smart!

Ram Fan Teacher396September 03, 2016 08:22AM

Re: Sometimes I just want to throw things when I read posts about Goff

napoli388September 03, 2016 08:15AM