Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Practice Report 8/18: Gurley to Make Preseason Debut

August 18, 2016 08:42PM

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

As we all saw in 2015, running back Todd Gurley doesn’t need preseason snaps to have a successful year.

Gurley was still recovering from his ACL tear at this point last season and the team was bringing him along slowly. While the former No. 10 overall pick was able to participate in some aspects of training camp, his first live game action didn’t come until Week 3 against the Steelers.

Twelve months later, Gurley is prepping for his first ever NFL exhibition matchup. With a full offseason under the Georgia product’s belt, head coach Jeff Fisher wants the running back to get re-acquainted with the mental aspects of gameday.

“It’s the emotions of going through and getting ready,” Fisher said. “It was different for him last week because he knew he wasn’t going to play. This week it’s getting ready, getting focused and then make some plays, gain some yards for us.”

For his part, Gurley said it’s important to get live reps as opposed to what he sees on a day-to-day basis during camp in order to get ready for the season.

“Obviously, practice is a lot different from the game,” Gurley said. “You do that stuff in practice, but those game reps creep up on you a lot faster. It’s always good to go in there and get some reps, for sure.”

While Gurley will play, it’s not like he’s going to be in for long.

“I don’t know how much, but he’s going to play. Maybe a series, maybe two,” Fisher said. “A couple carries, maybe some protection stuff and then get him out.”

Gurley’s planned playing time is akin to dipping a toe in the ocean. But for a running back who racked up 1,106 yards rushing, 10 rushing touchdowns, and an AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award in just 12 starts last year, it should be plenty.

QUINN RETURNS FROM RIO TRIP

Defensive end Robert Quinn was back today from his short trip to Brazil to witness his sister, Jasmine Camacho-Quinn, compete in the 100m hurdles. Unfortunately, Camacho-Quinn did not make the final heat. But the D-lineman said he still had a great experience.

“To make the Olympics — my baby sister — I couldn’t have been more proud,” Quinn said.

The defensive end especially appreciated Fisher allowing him to leave the team in the middle of training camp in order to experience the events in person.

“I think since coach got here, he’s always had that family mindset — putting family first,” Quinn said. “And a moment like that, that’s kind of like a wedding, graduation — one of those moments you just can’t miss.”

“I think coach understood and didn’t want me to miss the moment,” Quinn continued. “To say you went to the Olympics is one thing, but to see your baby sister is another. So that was a big thing, to see my baby sister run and I think he understood that.

Fisher referred to allowing Quinn to go see his sister compete as “the right thing to do.”

“I think that’s why he’s loved,” Quinn said. “The players love him so much because he understands the family side and that’s why he’s been a head coach for so long.”

PLAYING TIME AGAINST KANSAS CITY

As expected, Fisher said he plans on starting Case Keenum at quarterback before Jared Goff comes in to get a series or two with the first-team offense.

“We’ll let Jared play into the third quarter and we’ll see how it goes,” Fisher said. “It’s important to get [him] in there with the starters and the ones, so I think it’ll be a good experience for him. He’s been working with them out here off and on all week.”

The current plan is to have Sean Mannion come in after Goff to play the rest of the game.

Generally, the starters will play into the second quarter before the Rams begin substituting.

While he’s healthy and back from watching his sister at the Olympics, Quinn is not expected to play on Saturday.

“I think it just makes sense to hold Robert for another week [with] the travel and everything,” Fisher said. “He had a good practice today. He’s going to get caught up — his sleep is a little off and you don’t want to take a chance. He’s in great shape, so I think we’ll hold Rob until we go to Denver.”

Cornerback E.J. Gaine is expected to see live snaps for the first time since Week 16 of the 2014 season. And tight end Temarrick Hemingway should see significant time at tight end after a solid week of practice.

“Temarrick is coming along fast,” Fisher said. “He’s been slowed by injury, but had a really good couple of days on the practice field, offensively. We haven’t done anything with him in special teams, we’ll increase that load with him next week.”

Fisher also said offensive lineman Isaiah Battle and wide receiver Nelson Spruce have been ruled out. Tight end Tyler Higbee has been dealing with flu-like symptoms so he may be held out. And safety/linebacker Mark Barron may be a game-time decision.

HAPPY TRAILS TO A LEGEND

Many of you may know Lawrence McCutcheon as the Rams’ No. 4 all-time leading rusher. From 1973 to 1979, McCutcheon went to five Pro Bowls, racking up 6,186 yards on 1,435 and 23 touchdowns — finishing his time with Los Angeles No. 1 on the team’s rushing list. He’s since been passed by Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Steven Jackson.

But ‘Clutch’ has left a legacy within the Rams organization both on and off the field.

Overall, McCutcheon has spent 44 years in the NFL and 42 with the Rams. He joined the club’s personnel department in 1982 and has held various scouting roles ever since, most recently spending the last four years as a national scout.

And now at the age of 66, McCutcheon has decided to call it a career.

“McCutcheon has left an indelible mark on the Rams, as well as the National Football League,” said general manager Les Snead said in a statement. “The contributions he made as a player as well as a talent evaluator in our personnel department have been invaluable to this organization. We will miss ‘Clutch’ being around on routine basis, but he will always be an important part of our family.”

“I’ve had the opportunity to meet a lot of great friends with a lot of great personalities,” McCutcheon said after Thursday’s practice. “Had the opportunity to play with a lot of good football players. Just getting the opportunity to form some camaraderie and friendships – that’s what sticks out for me, most of all.”

As someone who has spend his entire life around the game of football, McCutcheon called the decision to retire difficult and very emotional.

“I’ve fought with it a lot. I went back and forth with it,” McCutcheon said. “I first started thinking about this last year. As I got closer and closer to making a decision, I started thinking, ‘Do you want to do this? Is this really what you want to do?’ I had an opportunity to sit down and talk with my wife about it. We planned on doing some other things, and experiencing some other experiences.”

McCutcheon wore No. 30 for the eight seasons he played in Los Angeles. Now, that number belongs to Gurley and McCutcheon said he feels he’s leaving it in good hands.

“He’s a superstar in waiting,” McCutcheon said of Gurley. “A very charismatic guy, a guy that’s level-headed and he’s a great, great football player.”

The same can be said of McCutcheon. We wish him the best in his retirement.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill877August 18, 2016 08:42PM

Re: Practice Report 8/18: Gurley to Make Preseason Debut

Rams43315August 19, 2016 06:12AM