Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams coach Jeff Fisher avoids questions on new deal talks

August 14, 2016 05:59PM
By Steve Dilbeck

[www.espn.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams are trying to wrap up contract extensions for Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead prior to the start of the regular season, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Both are entering the final year of their contracts.

Asked at a media session Sunday if he hoped to have the extension finalized before the regular-season opener, Fisher neither confirmed nor denied discussions were underway.

"I don't know where those reports came from, and I've never gotten into the details regarding my own personal situation," Fisher said. "We'll see what happens."

Fisher has never had a winning season in his four years with the Rams, going 27-36-1 overall. In his 16-plus years coaching the Houston/Tennessee Titans, he went 142-120. He had six winning seasons. But Fisher is a Los Angeles product, having gone to Taft High School in Woodland Hills and USC. He was the Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator in 1991. And he was instrumental in helping the Rams move from St. Louis back to Los Angeles this offseason.

Typically, however, coaches who have never had a winning season with a franchise are not in discussions about a contract extension.

But the Rams do not want Fisher to enter the season with it being the final year on his contract. And both sides want to complete the deal and expect it to happen, league sources told Schefter.

Fisher had expressed frustrations over his team's past performance and approach on the Rams' debut segment in HBO's "Hard Knocks" documentary series.

"Little things are important, you follow me?" Fisher said in a team meeting. "I am not f---ing going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7, OK? Or 10-6 for that matter. This team is too talented. I am not going to settle for that, OK? I know what I am doing. We had some 7-9 bulls--- this morning. Now, Deon's gone. That is 7-9 bulls---. We don't need it."

On Saturday night, the Rams made their comeback to Los Angeles beating the Cowboys 28-24 in their preseason opener.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill698August 14, 2016 05:59PM

I just can't imagine giving Fisher more than...

jemach350August 14, 2016 07:07PM