Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few random thoughts after the Cowboy game...

August 14, 2016 07:01AM
I haven't rewatched, mind you. Not sure I will, in fact.

But after the first watch, here goes...

Terrible way to inaugurate the first home game, huh? A deflating 101 yard TD return on the opening kickoff. To be fair, I saw a clear block in the back that should have drawn a flag. More like a tackle, really. Other reports I've read where posters watched it in slo mo replay claimed that there were 3 infractions, actually. Refs are in preseason form, too. But still...

The single biggest takeaway from this game? The Cowboy 1's abused our 1's early on. It was 24-7 at halftime, y'all. Lots of work to do on all 3 units these next 3 weeks. Among the starters, anyway.

I'm just gonna get this out of the way, now. I think any thought on Kroenke's part of extending Fisher just yet is premature. Waaaaay premature. If Fisher turns in a 6-2 mid season record, then sure. Go for it. Or a 10-6 record, maybe even playoff appearance at season's end, then yeah, absolutely. But please, NOT after just one preseason game. ESPECIALLY one where we trailed 24-7 at home against the Cowboy 1's. C'mon...

The following is a stream of consciousness thing, so bear with me...

Best rookie QB on the field was clearly Dak Prescott. He toyed with our 1's while in there. Had a 154.5 rating at one point. HE looked like the #1 overall pick, huh?

We can win with Keenum. Won't be real pretty, but I think we can win with him. In a 9-7 kinda way, I mean. His job is to keep us in the hunt until Goff gets his act together, and I think he can and will do at least that.

Not gonna sugarcoat it. Goff was underwhelming, wasn't he? But as Gruden pointed out, there was not a lot of help from his teammates, either. Some good signs, some areas that he needs to improve upon, and quickly. I no longer feel that he is 50-50 to start opening day. He'll get there at some point, but he doesn't look to me like he'll give us the best chance to win by opening day. Oh, Fisher might want to consider surrounding Goff with the 1st string OL next week. (sarcasm alert here)

Camp reporters were right about Mannion. The kid has come a long long way since last year. His offseason workouts with his personal QB guru appear to have paid big dividends. Now looks like he could be our #2 next year behind Goff, making Keenum expendable. Not to mention saving a roster spot for someone else on the 53. Are the naysayers about the Mannion pick having second thoughts? What an inspiring comeback win he executed.

Well, we seem to be in good shape at RB behind Gurley, huh? Tre who? Tremendous battle brewing for those 3rd and 4th spots. I think both Brown and Green make the 53.

I think I underestimated Kush at C. I watched him some and thought he played well. I'm less worried this morning about that position. I guess I overreacted to those bad snaps of his to Goff last week.

I thought GRob had a pretty danged good game. I kinda focused on him and he seems much better this year to me. Let's give both GRob and Bentley some love. I know it's early and I also know that the Cowboy DL are not the league's best, but still...

Higbee certainly didn't disappoint, did he? Camp reporters nailed this early on. Might even go so far as to say a star was born? We got a glimpse of the future? Any other cliche's you can think of? Loved the pick on draft day, and I love it even more now. This kid is a legit weapon for the next 10 years. After seeing how lucky we were to have both Donald and Gurley fall to us, it's kinda amazing to get to snatch Higbee in the 4th round. Wow!

Our WR's Cooper and Thomas were disappointing. Heck, they were very disappointing. Both better pick it up in the next 3 weeks if they want to see significant time on the field this fall. Yeah, Cooper looked good on returns, but we all know he is expected to be a helluva lot more than a returner.

Was it just me, but didn't Quick seem just so so?

I had hoped to see more targets for Duke Williams, but there's still 3 weeks to go.

McRoberts flashed just a little bit. Probably more of a PS candidate though, don't you think?

Those of us that have been praising Spruce certainly have our chests out today. Like a bunch of proud papas. The kid is a football player and just seems to make play after play. Another find that the camp reporters nailed quickly.

Was Ogletree hurt early last night? I mean, he barely had a cameo appearance before Hager took his place. I wanted to see Ogletree vs the Cowboy 1's. Our LB's seemed generally underwhelming, huh? Or was it just me? Maybe I'll rewatch and get a better impression on their play. Maybe...

Okay, I'm a little nervous now about our CB play. TruJo will be fine, of course. But Gaines is being held back to 3rd string? Is his hammy okay, or not, dammit! Sensabaugh might be a wonderful person, but his play in this game was very disappointing. Roberson and Joyner didn't exactly knock my socks off, either. Prescott seemed to be toying with them.

Mike Jordan, Jabriel Washington, and Troy Hill kinda stood out at times to me. Then again, they were going against 3rd stringers. Perhaps GW was running some sophisticated D schemes that were too subtle for me? I dunno. But I sure hope our CB's look better next week. I mean, a LOT better.

Nobody jumped out at me at S, either good or bad. Anybody feel differently?

Some fine tuning on kickoff placement strategy still needed, huh? The tinkering kind due to the new rule. We'll get there.

Hekker looks to be in mid season form. Not that anyone is surprised.

Our "new" O under Boras and Groh has a good feel to me. More unpredictable and more effective. Once Goff gets his feet underneath him, together with the likes of Gurley, Britt, Austin, Higbee, Spruce, and who knows else... Man, this could be a fun O to watch while the D gets rested up on the sideline this year.

That's it for now.

Comments welcome from one and all.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A few random thoughts after the Cowboy game...

Rams43765August 14, 2016 07:01AM

I agree, offense has more punch

GreatRamNTheSky392August 14, 2016 07:07AM

Stepping into his throw

leafnose325August 14, 2016 08:08AM