Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brooks says Goff nowhere near ready, Keenum should start.

August 05, 2016 12:39PM
Bucky Brooks: Goff should begin on the bench

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: Aug. 5, 2016 at 01:55 p.m.
Updated: Aug. 5, 2016 at 04:02 p.m.

Patience is a virtue -- in virtually all aspects of life. But it is rarely found in NFL locker rooms.

In a league where production and performance are paramount, general managers and scouts frequently fall prey to the outside noise and rush players onto the field to justify lofty draft-day selections. This happens with most top picks, but quarterbacks are especially susceptible to microwave treatment when they are selected in the first round -- and even more so when they're taken with a top-10 pick.

That's why I'm paying close attention to how the Los Angeles Rams are bringing along Jared Goff.

The football world will be clamoring to see the No. 1 overall pick when the Rams open their season in front of a national television audience at San Francisco in the final game of Week 1 on Monday, Sept. 12. While I've heard all of the rhetoric from coach Jeff Fisher and his staff on resisting the urge to put the rookie out on the field before he is ready, we've seen nearly every quarterback selected with a top-five pick over the past five years take the ball as the team's starter very early in the season. Thus, I traveled to Rams camp fully expecting to see Goff primed and ready to supplant Case Keenum as the team's starter.

I mean, on paper, this shouldn't be a fair fight: Goff boasts prototypical physical dimensions (6-foot-4, 215 pounds), A+ arm talent and a polished game, while Keenum has a smallish stature (6-1, 205 pounds), an average arm and a lack of cachet as a former undrafted free agent and current NFL journeyman. Sure, Keenum led the Rams to a 3-2 record as the team's part-time starter a season ago, but Fisher wouldn't seriously consider using the fifth-year pro as a legitimate starter this season. Right?

To my surprise, Goff isn't anywhere close to being ready to play as a starting quarterback at this stage of training camp. Now, this isn't a direct knock on him or his future potential. It can be a process. Having been around some of the best quarterback developers in the game (Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, Steve Mariucci, Dan Henning, Kevin Gilbride, Mike McCarthy and Mike McCoy), I know that young signal callers must check the boxes in three key areas before they are primed to step on the field as a starter:

» Communication
» Coverage identification
» Judgment

Watching Goff over a full workout, I sensed that -- despite widely reported improvement since the end of OTAs and minicamps -- the Cal product still has a long way to go before he reaches the standard needed to wrestle the starting job from Keenum.

After spending his formative years directing a spread offense (Sonny Dykes' "Bear Raid"winking smiley, Goff is still mastering the verbiage and communication skills to own the huddle. The lengthy play calls and at-the-line adjustments require far more verbal communication than the no-huddle system he ran in Berkeley. In addition, the constant chatter and identification require complete mastery of the playbook to make split-second decisions at the line. While I'm not privy to the Rams' playbook or their audible system, I can say that the offense operated with better tempo and pace when Keenum was at the helm. Goff had his moments directing the two-minute offense in team drills, but the pauses between plays were noticeably longer with the rookie in charge.

Moving on to some of Goff's post-snap responsibilities, I believe he is still adjusting to the complex coverages routinely employed by NFL coordinators. Rams DC Gregg Williams is one of the most creative tacticians in football, and his carefully crafted pre-snap disguises frequently mask the designated coverage. Thus, opposing quarterbacks must be in tune to the depths of linebackers and safeties in order to get a bead on the blitz or coverage. Keenum efficiently sorted out the myriad disguises and blitzes from the Rams' starters to find the hot route or open receiver down the field. He was rarely flustered by the constant movement, and his efficiency certainly surprised me, based on the complexity of the defensive looks.

Meanwhile, despite facing a more static look, Goff struggled a bit against the defense in team drills. Williams frequently aligned his defense in a Cover 2 shell (two deep safeties with corners aligned at 6 to 7 yards) and used a variety of simple zone (Cover 2, Cover 3) or zone-blitz (five-man rush with three deep and three under) concepts against the rookie. These defenses are the equivalent of what you would see in an NFL 101 class, yet Goff routinely had a tough time finding the open guy. And when he did identify the open man, he was frequently late with his throw, resulting in a contested catch or off-target toss down the field. At the NFL level, quarterbacks must throw with timing and anticipation to consistently complete passes in tight windows between multiple defenders.

Now, I don't want to be too critical of a young passer in the opening stretch of his first NFL training camp, but judgment is arguably the most important part of playing the position, and Goff seems so overwhelmed by the speed of the game that he's been inconsistent with his decisions. Some of his poor determinations are understandable, due to the uncertainty that plagues every young QB, but he also has been prone to making some "hero" throws in traffic. In the workout I attended, Goff threw four passes that should've been intercepted, each the result of a forced throw at intermediate range despite the fact that a checkdown was available underneath.

To be fair, most quarterbacks are reluctant to take the open checkdown when they believe they can make a "hero" throw. But Goff is in line for a number of turnovers off tips and overthrows until he develops the patience and poise to settle for a short completion instead of gambling on a "wow" play. He might foster these characteristics after a few preseason games, but I believe it will take him some time to learn the management skills needed to start for a competitive team.

Taking all of this into account, I think it's sensible for Fisher to officially name Keenum the starter and stick with him through at least the first half of the season. The veteran not only gives the Rams the best chance to win right now, but the team believes in his talent and leadership skills. Speaking to several offensive players, I repeatedly heard the word "gamer" and "winner" in reference to the 28-year-old Keenum. In fact, one Rams receiver said the offense would thrive in 2016 with Keenum at the helm, even though everyone expects Goff to eventually become a "baller" at the position.

To get a management perspective, I talked to several team officials who suggested Keenum can succeed because he has a clear understanding of his limitations and won't try to do too much with the ball in his hands. Unlike some quarterbacks who shrug off the "game manager" label, Keenum seemingly has embraced the approach -- and everyone in the building believes he won't mess it up if he gets the chance. Given that Los Angeles has a budding superstar in Todd Gurley who can pound the football, savvy game management from the quarterback position could work quite well for this team.

For the past several months, I thought the prospect of Keenum taking the field with the starting unit was simply the product of coachspeak. But after spending time at Rams camp, I believe the team should play the veteran quarterback until the youngster proves that he is ready to handle the job. This is the blueprint Fisher successfully used with a young Steve McNair during his time heading the Oilers/Titans. Despite entering the NFL as the third overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft, McNair didn't become a full-time starter until 1997. He went on to make three Pro Bowls and earn NFL MVP honors in 2003. Fisher should keep this in mind, to help Goff eventually reach his full potential as the Rams' franchise quarterback.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Brooks says Goff nowhere near ready, Keenum should start.

Saguaro1675August 05, 2016 12:39PM

Brooks? Foster? That man's a drunk...

JamesJM869August 05, 2016 01:00PM

And he has weeks of camp and pre season

LesBaker597August 05, 2016 02:01PM

Re: Brooks says Goff nowhere near ready, Keenum should start.

Rams43575August 05, 2016 02:20PM

You think? Perhaps I'm just foolishly optimistic but what I took from it...

JamesJM605August 05, 2016 02:36PM

Brooks said the same thing ive been saying

joram657August 05, 2016 03:56PM

Not sure you got my meaning, maybe...

JamesJM628August 05, 2016 04:13PM

Re: Brooks said the same thing ive been saying

Classicalwit491August 09, 2016 02:38AM

Classicalwit657August 05, 2016 05:47PM

bigjimram21789August 05, 2016 06:29PM

dzrams568August 06, 2016 03:10AM

I don't agree with this at all...

JamesJM710August 05, 2016 09:00PM

All due respect to Bucky Brooks but

GreatRamNTheSky627August 06, 2016 01:38AM

Re: All due respect to Bucky Brooks but

Anonymous User666August 06, 2016 04:02AM

I don't need Bucky to tell me anything

GreatRamNTheSky522August 09, 2016 03:10AM

Re: I don't need Bucky to tell me anything

Rams43495August 09, 2016 07:00AM

I don't need Bucky to tell me anything..Well said GreatRam

Anonymous User673August 09, 2016 01:41PM

Speed_Kills552August 06, 2016 03:50AM

My take...

Saguaro731August 06, 2016 04:19AM

Re: My take...

Hazlet Hacksaw816August 06, 2016 04:50AM

Re: Thanks, Saguaro

leafnose581August 06, 2016 05:13AM

Rams43566August 06, 2016 06:11AM

Hazlet Hacksaw539August 06, 2016 01:28PM

Comparison to Bradford

JamesHarrisFanClub565August 06, 2016 06:14AM

Re: Goff and Bradford

Shaky750August 06, 2016 08:37AM

Forgive my callousness toward the Mod team

ArizonaRamFan431August 08, 2016 09:24PM

Re: Forgive my callousness toward the Mod team

Shaky460August 09, 2016 02:24AM

9er8er576August 06, 2016 08:51AM

Well now it's official the Mission From God is complete

LesBaker590August 06, 2016 02:24PM

Re: The problem is expecting otherwise...

laram632August 06, 2016 06:07AM

I'd agree with most of that

9er8er510August 06, 2016 08:15AM

Re: I agree with that...

laram466August 06, 2016 08:27AM

Re: The problem is expecting otherwise...

Speed_Kills491August 06, 2016 09:46AM

Deja Vu All Over Again

9er8er513August 06, 2016 07:56AM

Re: Deja Vu All Over Again

Anonymous User582August 06, 2016 08:10AM

Hopefully you're right at the end of the day

9er8er635August 06, 2016 08:34AM

Re: Hopefully you're right at the end of the day

Anonymous User581August 06, 2016 09:09AM

Speaking of Deja Vu

Atlantic Ram495August 06, 2016 10:16AM

If Goff looks like a starter before week one of ....

no name596August 06, 2016 08:02AM

how is the kid supposed to be ready yet?...

LMU93500August 06, 2016 09:01AM

I think Brooks' point was

9er8er608August 06, 2016 09:43AM

Re: I think Brooks' point was

HighPlainsDrifter484August 06, 2016 09:57AM

Re: I think Brooks' point was

BobCarl616August 06, 2016 12:58PM