Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A very nice Day 2 camp report by ramsman34...

August 02, 2016 06:53AM
Here's ramsman34...

7/31

B. Quick started his pre practice warm ups on the Juggs machine with Coach Groh hitting him and his arms, bodying him up and just messing with his concentration and timing. Quick caught every ball - not wearing gloves. Let's see how this translates when the pads come on Tuesday 8/2. Quick looks leaner, even more ripped and faster than last year.

Team Defense - interception and return drill. I have never seen a team actually work on interception return blocking assignments like this before. The LBs and Dl would set up a return wall for the D backs to flow behind. It was coordinated beautifully every time.

O-line - one side inside run game drill. A lot of emphasis by Coach Bou on technique including, hand placement, sinking hips and driving, and bringing your feet. Isaiah Battle looked very good in this drill. All the o-line did pretty well.

The D-line once again worked on pass rush drills against each other, one on one. A lot of emphasis was put on proper hand placement, strike, and creating separation. All the guys did well with Quinn, Brokers, Donald, and Sims looking particularly strong and quick. Coach Waffle emphasizes a quick 1-2 strike technique with the hands then a one armed lock out of the offensive lineman to create space while bending and dipping around that side of the lineman. Trying to block any of our DL one on one is going to be a challenge for most opposing o-line men, especially OGs.

QB Individual Drills - Both Goff and Mannion can flat out spin the ball. It jumps out of their hands. Keenum, well, I truly think I can throw harder and farther than he can, with a tighter spiral. They do a lot of footwork, on the move within the pocket drills. I think these drills will pay off this season.

WR tennis ball drill. what a great eye-hand coordination drill Groh uses - and the WRs do it every single day. Him and Tay were moving two balls lightening fast to each other until Tay dropped one. We gave Tay a loud cheer and Groh says, "what, no love for coach." Coach actually looked damn impressive.

TEAM 11 v 11 almost every snap was out of 11-personell
2 minute drill - Goff at QB - second team

3rd & 3/+42 yd line/11 personnel/shotgun - short hook route to Duke Williams - drop/inc. - well placed ball
1st & 10/+45/11 personnel/Gun, intermediate fade to McRoberts - incomplete - catchable ball

Keenum a QB - 1st team

1st & 10/+45/ Run
3rd & 5/+45/11/gun -TE crossing route/Kendricks - complete for a 1st down - this is where T. Austin pulled up lame with the cramping
3rd & 7/+44/11/ gun - TE crosser - incomplete, forgot to write player # down

Goff in - 1st team with WR/TEs rotating

3rd & 3/+44/11/under center - hook/inc. to Higbee - catchable ball, tight window
3rd & 7/+47/11/gun - 3-step, speed out to Higbee, caught for a 1st down
3rd & 7/+47/11/gun - 5-step intermediate in-route to #3 Marquez North, nice ball, nice catch, big gain
3rd & 7/+47/11/gun - 5-step intermediate comeback to #13 Michael Thomas, tight coverage, great ball placement with heat on it, big gain
3rd & 7/+47/11/gun - 3-step, Sack by Brockers
3rd & 7/+47/11/gun - 7 step, double move/stutter go, great ball, maybe a tad long but if #81, Duke Williams lays out, thats a TD, ends up inc. Williams left the DB looking stupid, did not get the DBs #

Mannion got like 2 or 3 reps and i didn't pay attention, TBH.

The last two plays were a check down over the middle on 2nd and 12, and a jail-break screen, both worthless but the rush and coverage took everything else away, and the pursuit on the screen was so fast the WR couldn't make more than a 4 yd gain.

7 v 7 was the last thing of the day and thoroughly disappointing from the offensive point of view. This drill is slanted toward the offense and they are supposed to win most of the time. Didn't happen. The D was in man coverage exclusively and shut all three QBs down consistently. Gave them nothing accept a nice grab by Duke Williams on an intermediate incut. NOTE - I really hope the Duke makes this team - at least the practice squad. There is just something about him and he is a freakish athlete with excellent size/play speed/strength. Needs to sharpen his focus and concentration to eliminate the drops.

Now, keep in mind - especially with Goff at QB, the Defense is disguising coverages and shifting fronts constantly. They rolled out of cover-2 into cover-3 and then made cover -1 look like cover-3 pre snap quite a bit. They also ran zone to one side with off-man on the other. That is a lot for a rookie QB in his second practice to absorb and it showed occasionally. But, Goff held up well and looked better day 2 than day 1. THAT is called progress and I expect to see more all through camp.

More from camp tomorrow, 8/2 when the pads come on!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A very nice Day 2 camp report by ramsman34...

Rams431056August 02, 2016 06:53AM

Great stuff! Thanks for Posting 43 nm

Ram Fan Teacher649August 02, 2016 02:13PM

Any sign of Mike Singletary ?

IowaRam500August 02, 2016 02:23PM

Re: Any sign of Mike Singletary ?

MamaRAMa484August 02, 2016 09:06PM

Coach actually looked damn impressive.

Old Goat573August 02, 2016 02:41PM

Nice report but...

jemach492August 02, 2016 04:57PM

Quicks problems are not his physical ability