Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Day 2 camp report by VeteranRamFan...

August 01, 2016 03:12PM
Here's VeteranRamFan...

Day two training camp report

First let me say that I am in awe of those who have come before me with these camp reports. So much going on it’s hard to stay focused on one single group and well, I know we all need more info on every aspect of training camp. I will try my best to summarize what I saw and by no means do I want anyone here to take my word as the gospel truth. It’s just one fan’s view and I must admit, I may be biased to one or two players.

First, here is a link to the photo’s I took. There are over 250 of them so good luck with that. Plus, when I was editing them I added captions to explain what was going on and now it seems in the upload/transfer process those captions have been lost.

Follow this to my photos:

[smg.photobucket.com] Training Camp July 31 2016?sort=2&page=1

Hope this all works!

Wide Receivers:

Easier to watch this group than most others. Especially when they run routes to your sideline.

Nelson Spruce – I am very high on this guy. Not fast but crisp routes and gets separation. His hands are amazing. Everything, and I mean everything I saw thrown to him he caught, not only effortlessly but with authority. He won’t last on the practice squad. He would be our new Amendola. Need to find a spot for him.

Mike Thomas – What body control and great hands. He plays bigger than he really is. Always seemed to get open for that brief moment and if the QB finds him, sure catch and moving the chains. Must find a spot for him too.

Pharroh Cooper – just love his name! I can hear “COOOOOOOOP” coming from the crowds. Seems very quick and makes clean cuts. How can we not keep him?

Bradley Marquez – Dude is flat out ballin on the field. 100% effort 100% of the time. Love guys like that. He’ll make the team. More fast than quick (?) but fights for the ball. Good size, sure hands.

Marquez North – Sorry, didn’t catch my eye. Didn’t do badly, just didn’t see him all that much. Not that he didn’t have his opportunities, I just missed them. Must have been sending an update to the ROD board at those times.

Paul McRoberts – Oh boy, this guy has an uphill climb. He got yelled at during the first phase of passing drills by whomever was throwing the balls. All I could hear was F&*$in this and what the F… was that? Mind you, this was the first pass thrown to him as all the receivers were doing a simple slant from the left side, catch and turn up field. He’s JAG in my eye.

Tavon Austin – Full speed or no speed. Love this kid. He gets it and tries hard every play. During punt drills, he is fielding them and one is coming over to his left, our sideline where we are sitting. You can tell it is going out of bounds and may actually hit someone who wasn’t looking. I yelled a heads up and Tavon is as cool and calm as can be is waving this one off, just like in a game. I yelled at him afterwards “Good call, Tavon.” He acknowledged with a couple of nodes of his helmet as if to say, “I know, I know.” Just my take. Cool dude. Need not say anymore, we know what we got in him. OH! He did beat Tru off the line by about 3 steps for a TD from Keenum for 40 yards. His injury looked like cramps/spasm. That’s been confirmed.

Brian Quick – Was it the QB who threw it to the wrong shoulder or was it Quick who ran the wrong route? Happened more than once. Unless he takes a more aggressive approach to running his routes, how can they keep him? I sure hope it was on the QB.

Duke Williams – taking up space. No motivation, lazy routes. He can catch and his size is a plus but when all the other guys run through the play after catching the ball and he just gives up like “I did my part, I caught the ball”, why waist a roster spot.

Tight Ends;

Higbee – BEAST! Clean, fresh, crisp routes. Got separation numerous times. Not fast but sharp. I’d want him watching my back at the night club. He will become Goff’s best friend soon.

Hemmingway – He can catch the ball, that’s for sure. Not as crisp of a route runner as Higbee and that may put him on the PS. Not as much separation but used his body well to shield the defender.

Kendricks – Best part of him I saw was his blocking. AND I like the guy a lot! Missed some, had some batted away that I thought he could have used his size advantage but then again, no pads, second practice.

Benson Browne – JAG, sorry no disrespect but didn’t see anything to make him shine.

Harkey – Missed seeing much of him. We know what we have in him.

Justice Cunningham – Flat out gave it his all on every snap, play, drill. Of course you would too if your team just drafted two more tight ends. Loved his effort. Don’t know if he’ll make it with Lance and Higbee and Harkey in the mix.

Oline:

Saffold at RT. Did well. Just like we knew he could. Havenstien did not practice.

J. Brown at RG. Again, did well considering the D always has the upper hand during the first two weeks of camp.

Center – Couldn’t get the number. I’m sure it was Baron and at times Rhaney but maybe a little Kush too. Couldn’t tell. Sorry.

Donnel at LG. Seemed solid enough at this phase of camp.

Williams LT on second team. Guy is good. Nice to have on the team. One of those solid lineman you need for spot duty.

Robinson LT. Now here I paid some closer attention. Good use of hands, arms and feet. Kept Quinn in front of him or pushed him out wide away from the pocket. Quinn looked fine too. I really think GR is going to be who we want him to be this season, an All Pro.

Isaiah Battle – This guy will be a big plus as a swing tackle. He held his own at RT against Coples more than once.

Goff – He can thread a needle! Quick, sharp throws where only the receiver can catch it. Not so good yet on the 20+ yard deep ones. That will come in time once he gets that rhythm with his receivers.

Keenum – He is better than Goff right now but that is to be expected. Still not able to connect on deep throws but reads the field well. Except for that time Higbee was open for 7+ yards and it was 3rd and 6 per Coach Fisher. You’ll see Higbee’s route on that play in my pictures.

Mannion – Sorry, didn’t watch him too much.

Hekker – 60+ yards in the air. Direction was a little off. He was wearing #3 and really confused me. Thought it was North punting.

Gurley – He will do just fine. Arron Donald chased him down after the whistle one play and accidently stepped on Gurley’s heal. I admonished 99, told him not to hurt his teammate.

That’s all I can remember and I didn’t even get a real look at the defense.

I’ll be going back on Tuesday, let me know what position group you all would like me to focus on and I’ll try my best. No camera this time, just a pen and notepad.

Take care my Ram’s Brothers!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Day 2 camp report by VeteranRamFan...

Rams43971August 01, 2016 03:12PM