Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sonny Dykes’ smart insight on Rams Jared Goff

July 20, 2016 07:28PM

By STEVE RIVERA - July 20, 2016 0 117

[cover32.com]

Let’s be honest about a few things; Jared Goff was the Rams number #1 selection for a reason, and his coach at Cal speaks as to why he had success at Cal, and will in Los Angeles.

In a piece I posted this past spring, I wondered about leadership on a team who had just lost some prominent veterans, and whether a player like Goff could fill such a role.

First, the role of starting quarterback lends itself to such a position. And while some do it better than others, Goff filled such a space on his Cal Bear teams. Despite the obvious tendencies head coach Jeff Fisher shows towards veterans, the rookie quarterback he’s slotted behind Case Keenum has shown those qualities.

In a piece on Fox Sports Digital, writer Aaron Torres caught up with some of Goff’s former teammates, and Cal head coach Sonny Dykes at the recent Pac-12 Media Days in Hollywood.

On the subject of leadership, DeVante Wilson offered this:

“JARED WAS VERY VOCAL. HE WAS A GREAT LEADER,” WILSON SAID. “THERE WOULD BE TIMES HE WOULD COME TO THE DEFENSIVE SIDE AND COME PICK US UP AS WELL IF WE WERE STRUGGLING. I THINK THAT WILL CARRY ON TO THE NFL.”

As a “professional”, Dykes had this comment of Goff:

“HE’S A CONSUMMATE PROFESSIONAL,” DYKES SAID. “HE’S 21 YEARS OLD, BUT HE WAS A PROFESSIONAL FOR US AT 18. WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS HIS APPROACH, JUST HIS MATURITY AND HIS APPROACH. AND YOU KNOW, HE’S GOING TO GIVE IT EVERYTHING HE HAS EVERY DAY.”

Isn’t this part of the reason why the Rams drafted him?

As a Pac-12 fan, I watched most every game Jared Goff ever played. The “Air Bear” offense he ran is hard not to watch.

Dykes offers this on how solid his skill set is:

“HE MANEUVERS IN THE POCKET AND CREATES THROWING LANES BETTER THAN ANY QUARTERBACK I’VE EVER SEEN, REALLY AT ANY LEVEL. HE’S VERY UNIQUE IN THAT REGARD. I THINK THAT’S WHY HE WAS THE FIRST PICK IN THE DRAFT IS BECAUSE OF THAT SKILL SET.”

Testimonials from teammates and coaches, be they current or former speak volumes about a player. In the case of Jared Goff, they also shed additional light on why his upside is so high.

I’ve beaten up on Jeff Fisher enough on the issue of Case Keenum as the Rams starting quarterback. I know, Fisher is all about the veterans, and Goff needing to win the job. But in all honesty, Keenum isn’t Jared Goff.

Not this season, or ever.

Hopefully, Jeff Fisher catches on soon.

Read more at [cover32.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill1366July 20, 2016 07:28PM

Re: Sonny Dykes’ smart insight on Rams Jared Goff

Rams43684July 20, 2016 08:25PM

we just need to keep stability on offense for Goff....

SunTzu_vs_Camus569July 22, 2016 08:02AM

Re: Sonny Dykes’ smart insight on Rams Jared Goff

BobCarl641July 22, 2016 05:05PM