Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, which position groups look better/worse than those that finished ‘19?

March 30, 2020 09:12AM
Yeah, this is a different way to look at relative Ram positional status. Very subjective and it’s still mid-FA and weeks before the draft but it’s just for funsies so here goes...

Remember, we’re trying to rate the projected ‘20 starters vs the starters that finished the ‘19 season.

Offense

QB. Goff should be slightly better if only because of one more year of experience, the influence of O’Connell, slightly more experienced OL, and projected improved RB stable, not to mention a year older and wiser McVay. Grade QB improved.

RB. I expect a new quality RB to be added in the draft. The new RB tandem of Henderson/rookie should be at least the equal of the arthritic Gurley, if not an outright upgrade. Grade RB equal.

OL. Should be improved overall. Whit will be a year older but healthy. Corbett, Edwards, and Evans should all benefit from a years experience and gelling together. Blythe at C should finally be 100% healthy. Hav might have a bounce back season. A C might be the pick at 52 if a stud falls, but even if not this OL should be improved over the late ‘19 version. Grade improved.

TE. Are you kidding me? I see an even more improved TE Corp with a healthy Everett, a continuation of Higbee’s explosion, and some more great Mundt blocking in running game. Grade slight improvement.

WR. Probably equal here unless Cooks is 100% with no concussion issues. So, who knows? Grade equal.

Defense

DL. Obvious improvement with ARob and Brockers back. Grade significantly improved.

Edge. Unknown but probably slightly degraded. Reason I say slightly is because Matthews wasn’t all that. He was a liability in run D and most of his sack production resulted from QB being flushed to him by play of teammates. That’s why he was released. Missing Fowler might hurt, but then again how consistent was Fowler, really? And how much did he benefit from AD’s presence? Heck, Floyd is a better run defender and might also benefit from AD’s presence. Lots of candidates for edge already on the roster and surely one of them can replace Matthews. Grade slightly regressed.

ILB. Littleton was a helluva coverage/playmaker type but not very strong as a run defender. One of Howard/Young/draft pick might be able to somewhat replace Littleton’s effect. Remember, Rams/Staley chose to let Littleton walk when they could have extended him if he was felt to be a ‘must have’. Kiser should be an upgrade at MLB over Reeder. Grade slightly regressed (but net effect is only slightly).

Outside CB. Should be improved with a half season of gelling between Ramsey/Hill. Plus Staley is more likely to play to their strengths by using them in more man schemes than Wade ever did. That’s huge. Grade improved.

Nickel CB. Either Long or Williams should eventually be fine as an NRC replacement, but neither as yet has his experience so expect a learning curve as opposing QB’s are forced to test them. Grade regression (at least for first half of season).

S. JJ is an upgrade over the ‘19 Weddle, no question. Rapp should be improved after his rookie season of experience. I do wonder if we have a FS on the roster now that Christian is gone that can enable Rapp to continue to play that hybrid-LB role that worked so nicely last tear. Look for a FS draft pick. Grade substantial upgrade.

ST. Let’s face it, GZ’s departure creates a big hole that Bonamego must fill, probably with a rookie (I’m not wild about any FA kickers out there, tbh). Also, Bonamego has to earn our trust, so there is that. Grade regression, possibly substantial.

So there you have it. Overall more pluses than minuses. And we still have most of FA, possible trades, the draft, UDFA’s, and final cut opportunities ahead before opening day.

I’ll be the first to admit that my glass is almost always more half full than half empty, but I am cautiously optimistic. This ‘20 Ram team will be competitive and definitely in the playoff hunt. If we catch a break or two via the draft and/or reduced injuries we just might be in some SB conversations.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So, which position groups look better/worse than those that finished ‘19?

Rams43456March 30, 2020 09:12AM

hard to judge better/worse yet, but...

LMU93229March 30, 2020 10:18AM

Re: hard to judge better/worse yet, but...

Rams43223March 30, 2020 10:29AM

dzrams157March 30, 2020 10:54AM

zn130March 30, 2020 12:19PM

dzrams171March 30, 2020 10:52AM

LMU93125March 30, 2020 11:50AM

Re: They kept improving...

dzrams197March 30, 2020 12:20PM

Rams43136March 30, 2020 03:39PM

dzrams142March 30, 2020 03:46PM

Rams43146March 30, 2020 04:07PM

thanks- continuity always matters

LMU93107March 31, 2020 04:23AM

Re: thanks- continuity always matters

dzrams101March 31, 2020 07:39AM

I look at it as it stands....no maybe if's or if this....

roman18205March 30, 2020 11:15AM

Re: I look at it as it stands....no maybe if's or if this....

Rams43173March 30, 2020 11:43AM

Re: I look at it as it stands....no maybe if's or if this....

roman18142March 31, 2020 04:42AM

Fowler and Matthews Attachments

RamsFanSince69300March 30, 2020 03:35PM

Re: Fowler and Matthews

Rams43187March 30, 2020 03:59PM