Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An insightful look into McVay’s possible mindset post by Dick84...

February 23, 2020 09:07AM
Here’s Dick84...

So, I found a couple of things in Rams media this week to be pretty informative into what I think we will be seeing this offseason and into the season.
Rich Hammond's article on The Athletic really went into what McVay's mindset seems to be, moving forward. When I read what McVay said, and look at the decisions McVay is making, it seems clear to me that McVay believes the biggest issues in 19 had to do with coaching. He's not giving lip service when he says it's on him and he's moving to address those issues. That's coming from his words AND his actions. He's only spending a limited time at the combine and wants to work with coaches.
This tells me a couple of things.
-He's developed a trust and communication level with Snead and the college scouting staff that he feels good trusting them with most of the lifting when it comes to the draft. He'll, of course, be in on final decisions, but he trusts them to narrow the pool of candidates. Based on the success of the last few drafts, this makes sense to me.
-He really believes that scheme issues played a huge factor in the Rams lack of success last year, both on offense and defense.
-He really believes he needs to devote as much time as possible, right now, to evaluating the players *currently* on the roster with the coordinators and coaches to see what's needed. He wants to really "be in touch" with everyone and everything going on.

The "Rams Revealed" podcast interview with new OC Kevin O'Connell was great and, I think, very insightful.
-He mentioned how much the oline will benefit from having so many young guys get action this year. He mentioned them growing and improving. This will be a huge record-scratch for people who think the oline personnel just flat-out sucks and can't get better... and for those who think the roster will look drastically different. O'Connell's interview screams to me "getting better from within."
-He talked about really admiring the 9ers run scheme and studying it. Why not? I mean.. they ran Mike Person, Ben Garland and Laken Tomlinson at interior line.. and absolutely ran over the Packers. Who DOESN'T think that scheme had the majority of impact? I don't see the Rams adding a fullback.. but I think Mundt is probably gonna keep seeing the field a bunch.. unless Everett has a blocking epiphany this offseason. O'Connell did mention the Rams being primarily an "11 personnel" team.. .but added that throwing more looks at the defense will be a thing. They can't create the problems the 9ers can with Juszczyk with Mundt.. but they can certainly block decent with him in there.

So... that's where I think they're going, big picture. A belief system that coaching failure was the biggest factor in 19's failure and that restructuring the staff and making some key changes will result in a better team in 20.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An insightful look into McVay’s possible mindset post by Dick84...

Rams43424February 23, 2020 09:07AM

My Spin

den-the-coach253February 23, 2020 09:14AM

Re: My Spin

Rams43217February 23, 2020 11:00AM

meh, it still goes back to the OL for me

Deadpool206February 23, 2020 10:00AM

Re: No doubt

merlin141February 23, 2020 10:14AM