Advanced

Schefter: Rams are not sending coordinators, O'Connell & Staley, to the combine

February 14, 2020 09:54AM
[www.espn.com]
Sources: Broncos, Rams cutting scouting combine attendance
11:05 AM PT
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

In what could portend as the wave of the future, the Broncos are not sending their assistant coaches to the scouting combine in Indianapolis this year because they believe they'll make better use of their time by watching film back in Denver, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

Additionally, the Rams are not sending their offensive and defensive coordinators, Kevin O'Connell and Brandon Staley, to the combine because they would rather have them in Los Angeles, implementing the team's new offensive and defensive schemes, sources said.

In a copycat league, the Broncos and Rams could be establishing a trend that other teams will follow, leaving coaches behind to watch the combine on TV and do their own scouting work in the office.

It is what Broncos head coach Vic Fangio, who will attend this year's combine in person, decided for this combine, sources told ESPN. He thought there was better use of the assistant coaches' time to study prospects on tape rather than in person.

In addition to studying the prospects on tape, the Broncos' assistant coaches also will have access to the combine private interviews led by the personnel staff and Fangio in Indianapolis.

Rams head coach Sean McVay will attend the opening days of the combine, fulfilling his obligation to speak with the media, before returning to Los Angeles to continue implementing his systems with his two new coordinators, sources told ESPN. The rest of the Rams' coaching staff will attend the combine.

Both organizations believed there was better use of their time than to attend the combine en masse, sources told ESPN. Though it did not drive either team's decision, there also is a hefty financial savings for each organization by not having everyone travel to Indianapolis.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Schefter: Rams are not sending coordinators, O'Connell & Staley, to the combine

Rams Junkie819February 14, 2020 09:54AM

Re: Schefter: Rams are not sending coordinators, O'Connell & Staley, to the combine

CraigMatson349February 14, 2020 10:32AM

Re: Schefter: Rams are not sending coordinators, O'Connell & Staley, to the combine

Rampage2K-235February 15, 2020 10:46AM

remember though

zn321February 15, 2020 10:53AM

I flat out ignore the combines. It's a waste of time.

Ramgator350February 16, 2020 07:10AM

Re: I flat out ignore the combines. It's a waste of time.

zn281February 16, 2020 07:12AM

I don't think I have ever fell in love...

BumRap176February 18, 2020 03:18PM

I have. Shocking I know right

Deadpool184February 18, 2020 04:23PM

Re: I watch because I am a football fan

Speed_Kills172February 18, 2020 04:27PM

Re: I watch because I am a football fan

Rams Junkie195February 18, 2020 05:32PM

Well, thats kinda true

Deadpool202February 18, 2020 07:15PM

Re: Well, thats kinda true

Rams Junkie207February 18, 2020 10:41PM

I totally get your enjoyment of the combine