Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Game 5 ... Character Building Loss

October 10, 2019 07:13AM
I'm a die hard Ram fan, and I've been in it every year, every game, for 33 years. I would trade a long term lesson with a young team for a win.

I don't feel like I need to make excuses, because we literally had it. we got to kick the winning field goal. Missing that is a bummer, and I will explain something I saw with it before going into the analysis.

We drove down the field so fast that I think McVay was still in pushpushpush mode when we landed on the thirty. When we got to 3rd down, with 20 seconds life, my wife piped up (she rarely pays attention) from the background "Um, why aren't they kicking now?" and though I could explain why, I agreed with her. Center of the hashes, 47 yarder, no timeouts ... not too many good things can happen here if you run a play ... and you can't spike it to stop the clock ...
I know in real time McVay was pushing for every yard. But he was just doing math, not angles and psychology.

As soon as he didn't decisively take a 3rd down FG, I could feel everything get kinda fuzzy, Goff was looking around like he was confused on the reads, and then we have a false start. Now we HAVE to have a short play that's going to take us to the left or right hash.

When you can choose to kick a comfy 47 yarder to win on 3rd down or risk a sack or INT for only a few more yards which will also take you out of the center of the field... you do it. McVay hasn't been in that spot before, so it's a lesson. And I'd rather him learn it here.

Also, I'm really curious to see how much of a difference Taylor Rapp's loss has made.

Also, I waited too long and had a long weekend so Im going to forget stuff.

The Great

1) 1:40, no timeouts, no problem. That's the offense I want.

2) Everett break out game. It only takes 1 to change a career path.

3) Kupp looking like an all pro.

The Good

4) No late hit penalties on Wilson's slides. That irked me so bad for years, we'd always have at least one.

5) The coverage on the option when we stopped them at the end.

6) Gurley TDs ... I know many are speaking ill of him ... or like he's not engaged fully ... I want him engaged in week 19 and 20. If he's not then, that's an issue.

7) That Wilson had to have a perfect game against us to beat us by one ... at home. He makes any mistakes and we win that game walking away.

8) Forcing them to convert a 4th and goal.

The Bad

9) No kicking the FG on 3rd down.

10) Not spying RW more.

The Ugly

11) Aqib coming off his man.

12) Busted play to Metcalf (which Weddle said was his?)

13) Giving up 135 yards to that junk O line.

14) I don't have a category for "How'd he make that throw?" but I figured it was worth mentioning.

College

Had good games last week ...

15) Gators, LSU, Auburn, UGA, can all challenge Alabama in my opinion.

16) 3 QBs from Oklahoma going #1 overall in 3 straight years?

17) WRs are getting bigger. I'm assuming Reynolds walks so we'll need a new #4 in theory.

18) There's actually a decent amount of inside LBs this year ... I'm looking at the kid from Cal as a 3rd-5th round steal kinda target. But there are numerous others.

19) The way the games have fallen for me has given me an opportunity to watch almost everyone once so far. That's rare this early in the season.

20) Lots of CBs that are active tacklers. Bryce Hall is still my favorite but there are quite a few others.

21) TE position is strong. Kid on Notre Dame (Kmet) should be in the top 20 conversation.

Okay, that'll do. I'll get to it earlier next week so my memory is clearer. Thoughts and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Game 5 ... Character Building Loss

alyoshamucci365October 10, 2019 07:13AM

Re: Blinkscout Game 5 ... Character Building Loss

Rams43203October 10, 2019 07:24AM

Re:disagree on run defense not being very good

Steve127October 10, 2019 07:43AM

Re: Re:disagree on run defense not being very good

Rams43191October 10, 2019 08:25AM

Steve99October 10, 2019 08:51AM