Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay– December 6, 2018

December 07, 2018 03:45AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips and Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – December 6, 2018

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – December 6, 2018

(On if the weather today helps prepare for the weather in Chicago)

"Yes, it's actually good. If there was going to be a week that the weather isn't exactly what we're accustomed to out here in L.A., we'll take it because it helps us get ready for the elements that we're going to be playing in on Sunday. Kind of a blessing in disguise for us."

(On RB Todd Gurley II bouncing back from the Chiefs game and playing well last week and his thoughts on his performance)

"I think really it's just about the opportunities. He made the most of his opportunities that he had in the Chiefs game. There was a lot instances where we decided to throw it, over running it just based off some decisions that we felt like. But, (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) made the most of his chances at the Chiefs game too. He's not going to say he got rolled up on, he's so tough. He certainly looked pretty healthy last week, did a great job and I thought he was at his best when we needed him the most. He had some really tough, third-and-1, third-and-2, where he ended up getting three yards earlier in the game – that was a big conversion.

Then, obviously, the third down and three that he ended up popping, and then going down around the two (-yard line) was a big play. I just thought the consistency that he ran with throughout the course of the game, had some big plays, three big catches that we needed. The screen was a big play and then the two that we were in the empty formation, kind of in some of those second down situations. He did a really nice job but that's kind of par for the course for him. You don’t ever take it for granted. But, well deserving of NFC Offensive Player of The Week."

(On if he's conscious of how many touches Gurley has throughout a game and how many he needs)

"That's a good question. I wouldn't say that. I think you always want to be mindful of getting your playmakers in the flow of a game. As far as a specific amount of touches it's not something like that because sometimes if you're fortunate to have an explosive play and you only have to score in a few plays, then you're limited with that element of it. But really what you try to make sure is, is that you get your playmakers in the flow of a game, specific to those skills guys. With the running back whether it's running the football or getting him involved in the pass game and then the receivers as well. A lot of what we do is predicated on what we feel like going into a game plan is the best way to move the football. We talk about it all the time. There's an element of you want to have a good balance and be able keep people off balance, but at the end of the day our job is to move the football and score points. Fortunately for us, we feel like we have the ability to be able to do that through the air or through the ground. Certainly, it's going to be a great challenge in both ways this week because of the great defense that we're playing and the different things that they present."

(On if there is a correlation between Goff and Gurley being most productive in first down situations)

"I think it kind of goes back to what we said. Fortunately, we've been able to run the football efficiently and we've been able to throw it efficiently on those early downs. Their success then makes people feel like, ‘Alright, you've got to defend one or the other,’ and then you try to capitalize on that. But, I think it's really – the first thing is, any time that you hear those types of things it’s a credit to the players, their ability to just execute – period. You always want to be efficient on those early downs. Then, everything else kind of falls into place. You're avoiding some of the second-and-long, get-back-on-tracks and some of those third down situations where defensive players can just kind of tee off on you because you're regulated with the menu of things that you can kind of just give a defense based on trying to convert. But, those guys have done an excellent job. Really, we talk about it all the time, it's all 11 (players). Jared is certainly doing a great job playing within the timing and rhythm. Todd is doing a great job, whether it be running or protecting, and it starts up front with those offensive linemen."

(On which area Goff has improved most between decision making, timing and accuracy)

"I think, really, it's been a combination of those things and here's why I would say that though. I think because he's making good decisions – I think he's making good decisions in a large part because he is playing with the timing and rhythm that we want based on his ability to recognize whatever the coverage contour the defense is presenting and then be able to progress accordingly. So, those two kind of go hand-in-hand. Then, physically I think he's throwing the ball really well. You can see, he's got a natural feel. He's a natural thrower of the football that can change the platforms, but one of the things that I think has really shown up for him, you almost want to look at it in the times that you get a clean pocket – ‘How much can I make it a repeated motion, like a golf stroke, so that I'm consistently accurate with the football, the way that I'm delivering it with my base, balance, my body position, the way everything comes through.’ I think you've seen him throw the football extremely accurate. The one thing that stands out that we made a big emphasis – and I think he's done a great job with it – are some of our crossing routes, where guys are running across the field. Those front-pad locations on the throw, as opposed to holding guys up and I think he's done an excellent job giving guys a chance to create after the catch. So, really, in all three phases you've seen significant improvements. I think the decisions and the timing are a result of him recognizing things. Then, I think the accuracy is a result of just a physically talented player and then the work that he's put in, in the offseason and then during the course of the year as well."

(On how CB Aqib Talib bounced back physically from Sunday's game in Detroit and if his role could be expanded this week)

"Yeah, he's good. I think we'll hopefully not have to have him on any sort of pitch count at all this week. That was kind of the goal all along. Really, especially playing on the turf. It sounds like the field has been in good conditions in Chicago, too, from what I understand. Unless something sets us back, he's going to be a full go and go from the start to the finish."

(On if he can envision a situation where a defensive player wins the NFL MVP Award)

"Yeah, I think if the voters determine that that's the case, then certainly it could happen. If it happens to be somebody that we're working with, no one would be more excited and happy for (DT) Aaron (Donald) than we would as an organization. But, for us, the best part about it is our guys are focused on what they can do to contribute for our team. Certainly, he's made a huge impact on the game. I think a lot of it really goes back to just playing good football, getting better every single day. He certainly has done that, but a lot of it is an interpretation thing – most valuable player. Do you deem that based on the impact you're making on the game? Are you saying that somebody that touches the ball every single play is the most valuable based on the nature of the position? So, I think it's really left for interpretation, but I know this – Aaron Donald is playing outstanding football. He has been instrumental in a lot of the big plays that have occurred as a result of us winning football games because of the defense coming through in some crunch-time situations. It's not by coincidence that (No.) 99 is usually in the middle of all of that and it starts with his preparation. He sure is a talented player as well."

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips – Media Availability – December 6, 2018

(Opening remarks)

"All right, Chicago – (WR Allen) Robinson (II), (WR Taylor) Gabriel, (WR Anthony) Miller – the wide receivers. (Trey) Burton's a tight end. The tackles are (Bobby) Massie and (Charles) Leno (Jr.). Guards are (Bryan) Witzmann and (James) Daniels. The center is (Cody) Whitehair. Quarterback's (Mitchell) Trubisky and backup quarterback's Chase Daniels. Running backs are (Jordan) Howard and (Tarik) Cohen. So, got that cleared. They've got some good personnel on offense. I think (Bears Head Coach) Matt Nagy's done a great job with them. These young, innovative, offensive people are making me get gray hair, I think, almost. But anyway, they've got good personnel, but they do a good job with them. Their offensive line has done a good job with run and pass. The two backs, Howard is a power guy, but he can bounce outside and make plays. Then, Cohen is the elusive guy that's going to – he can catch the ball out of the backfield and run with it, especially wide running plays. Burton's a tight end that played against us last year, for Philadelphia (Eagles) did a good job. Then, the receivers, Gabriel's the speed guy, but the other two guys are really good route runners. So, that's what they have and they've got a good offense."

(On how CB Aqib Talib looked in his return last week)

"Yeah, (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib) did a good job. We had him on a pitch count. He played the first half, they had three points the first half, so he was part of that. But, I thought he moved around nice. We're expecting probably more from him this week – more plays I'm talking about. As long as he's ready to go, we're going to let him play."

(On how Talib affected his teammates on the field)

"Well, like I say, he's not necessarily the only guy that caused the only three points the first half. But, he's also part of a cohesive unit, he's a good communicator and he helps when he's out there."

(On if he plans for Trubisky to play)

"Yeah, we do. I think, obviously, he's a good, young quarterback that can really throw the ball, but he's also athletic. He's got 396 yards rushing, so he gives you a double threat – not only being able to throw the ball well and move the ball. They scored 25, 26 points a game when he's been in there. He's a threat. He helps their running game because he runs with it, but he also, obviously, helps the passing game because he can move around and make plays or just throw it. He throws a lot of downfield balls and they've got some good receivers. They throw a lot of balls downfield. They're not just a dink and dunk team, similar to Kansas City (Chiefs), which is what you'd expect. But I think personnel-wise, they're similar too. They've got good personnel."

(On if OLB Dante Fowler Jr. is adding a dynamic that the Rams' defense didn't have before)

"Yeah, I think everybody can see it – he's an outside rush threat and more of a threat than what we had. I think that's shown up. He made a big play that helped win the game – knocked the ball out. He's had what, three or four sacks already? He gives you an opportunity to not only rush on third down, but on first and second down some – that presence outside rusher, so that's helped. Now, in here last week, I did say – just to preface everything – I did say, '(DT) Aaron Donald is a good player.' So, all of you remember that."

(On if he has anything beyond 'wow' to say about Donald after the win against the Detroit Lions)

"He's a special player, everybody knows it, everybody sees it. It's us making sure that he can get into a position to be able to get one-on-one some. Everybody's turning towards him every play, so we've got to take advantage of that defensively and he still wins. I think he's playing the best he's played. The last several games, I think he's played as good as he's played, as I've ever seen him play and I've only been with him two years. He's obviously the Defensive Player of the Year and well deserving. Some people are talking MVP."

(On how difficult it is to get Donald in one-on-one situations with the way teams are blocking him)

"Well, we try to take advantage of that. You noticed (Lcool smiley Cory Littleton's had a couple of sacks, that's because they're going towards Aaron and now we rush him and he gets some sacks. It's those kinds of things, if we can anticipate their doing certain things towards Aaron and overloading that way, we can overload the other way basically – simple way to do it. That's what you try to do. Even when they overload towards him, they still have problems with him, so that's a real plus for us."

(On if he wasn't coaching, would he get excited at all to see Donald and Bears OLB Khalil Mack on the same field)

"Yeah, I'd be cheering for the Rams and booing the Chicago Bears, but other than that, as a fan (laughs) – yeah, it's great to play against great players. Both sides, it's great to have them – first of all, you'd rather have them. But, (Bears OLcool smiley Khalil Mack's a special player, too, and a great player. It's always neat in this league to be able to play against the great players. I'm talking about, I'm a fan so to speak, especially of another player on another team. So, I have great admiration for what guys do and how they do it. Certainly, Khalil Mack is a force on the field. But, I'm not pulling for him (laughs)."

(On only two defensive players ever winning MVP in a long time and if he thinks a defensive player could win MVP this year)

"Yeah, they're not going to give it to a defensive player, in my opinion. Quarterbacks are always the guy that – and probably well deserved – they cause a lot of points. It's harder on defense to say, 'Hey, man, he stopped him from scoring how many times or how many points he's accounted for.' But, he's actually accounted for a lot of points because he's stopped drives or he's caused fumbles – all those things. But, you don't see that in the defensive player stats and so forth, so I think it's always going to be an offensive player pretty much. I think the only chance that any player would have and Aaron would have would be to set the all-time record for sacks or something like that. We're glad we have him and whether he gets the MVP or (Rcool smiley Todd Gurley (II) gets it, we really don't care."

(On if Donald is the case for opening the conversation to being most valuable)

"I don't know. I don't know that they're going to change that. I'm not the one that does it. I think it's you guys (laughs). But, neither here nor there, he's a great player and we're glad we have him."

Rams Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – December 6, 2018

(On what RB Malcolm Brown has meant to him as a teammate and as his backup running back)

"Just losing a guy like him, big piece for us – definitely on special teams. I know I can come out comfortably in a game and he's going to go in there and do the same production. Definitely miss having him around during the lifts. He was my lifting partner, so now I've got to lift by myself. He left me hanging for a couple weeks."

(On how much of a friendship he and Brown have built since they entered the league)

"We came in together, so we've got a pretty good relationship. We hang out other than just being at the facility. Yeah, (RB Malcolm Brown) 'Malc' is my boy. He's really going to be my boy when he's giving me some money when Georgia whoops them (Texas) in the (Sugar) Bowl game. But no, I'm super, super excited about that – our teams get to play each other and I get to talk some trash after we win."

(On if he has worked on ball security)

"I try not to even think about it, man. Honestly, that's part of the game, it's part of the game. Guys get paid just like I do, but that's one thing (Head) Coach (Sean McVay) preaches about is the ball. If you can't take care of the ball, then nine times out of ten you're probably going to end up – whoever wins the turnover battle is going to win the game. That's just – when you lose the ball, that's like the worst feeling ever, because you know everybody is talking about you, even your teammates. So, that's the last thing you want to do."

(On how he and Brown work on ball security right before kickoff)

"Yeah, my man – what's his name? ‘Silk.’ Yeah, 'Silky' in St. Louis. Ever since St. Louis he used to get us right before the game and we just go through stripping the ball. So, we've just been doing it ever since we got in the league."

(On what he's seen from the Bears defense on film this season)

"They're a great defense. Obviously, they have arguably the second-best player (Bears LB Khalil Mack) in the NFL besides (Rams DT) Aaron Donald. (Bears Dcool smiley Kyle Fuller, he's great. I think he has six picks. (Bears DT) Akiem Hicks, (Bears LB Danny) Trevathan, (Bears Lcool smiley Roquan (Smith) and then they've got a guy in (Bears S Eddie) Jackson back there at safety who, if you don't look him off, he can definitely pick the ball off. Ever since college he's been taking stuff back to the house. He had one, I think it was last week or if not, against the (Detroit) Lions. They've got a great defense. They've been playing pretty good ball. They've got a great defensive coordinator and obviously they've got (No.) 52. So, when they've got him back there, they're always going to have a chance."

(On if he cares about playing in the cold)

"Nah, I don't really like the cold. We got a little taste of how it's going to be. Obviously, it was pretty cold out here today. I'm expecting it to probably be like this, but like 15, 20 degrees colder. It shouldn't be too bad. I hope not, anyway."

(On how he has seen RB Justin Davis and RB John Kelly develop since they've been around)

"Obviously, it's pretty tough because you're doing everything during OTAs and you’re doing stuff in camp and then it's like, if you're not a guy on the active roster, you're not really getting many reps at all. But, I feel like we do a great job, coach does a great job of installing stuff every week. If those guys have any questions, they know they can come to me or (C John Sullivan) 'Sully', whether it's protection or track. Can't really do too much to tell those guys how to run, those guys know how to run, just the main thing is really just pass protection and making sure that everybody's on the same page. But, I feel like those guys will be, they'll be fine when they get in the game. They're definitely going to play because I'm pretty sure I'll get tired a play or two."

(On if he feels like without Brown changes his mindset about staying on the field and when he needs to take a break)

"Oh yeah, for sure. Little stuff like that factors in. You'd rather be on the field, but if I'm not – not 100 percent – but, if I'm in there dead tired, why not put another guy in that's going to give 100 percent effort other than me just half-assing the play."

(On if he feels the same way as last year about the NFL rushing title not meaning a lot to him)

"Yeah, I was lying. I really did care about the title. I couldn't say nothing (laughs). No one really plays for regular goals, but that'll be a pretty cool thing to get. I tell people that all the time. It's like, you play for team goals, but who wouldn't want to be the NFL sack leader? Who wouldn't want to be the NFL passing or rushing leader? It's hard to get it. Definitely wanted to get it last year, but whatever. We didn't play in the last game. I'm just going to focus on these next couple of games and whatever happens, happens. I'm just happy that we were able to clinch a playoff spot and just go from there."

(On if he's hoping to play in the last four games of the regular season)

"Man, I don't make those decisions. We're just going to worry about this game and try to get this first-round bye and then figure it out from there."

(On how he knows WWE Hall of Fame Wrestler Ric Flair)

"Well, his daughter actually runs track at Georgia. Obviously, he lives in Georgia and I played at Georgia. Kind of just that connection. Then my close buddy, Kam, works for him. So, that's kind of how I met (WWE Hall of Fame Wrestler) Ric (Flair). Good guy, man. He's real cool. He sends me good luck texts like the last two years. So, that's my guy."

(On if he saw Flair on the sideline)

"I didn't even get a chance to see him. I didn't even get a chance to see him, but I knew he was there. Yeah, it's always good when a legendary guy like that comes out and supports you and just to be cheering us on."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay– December 6, 2018

RamsFootballFans.com270December 07, 2018 03:45AM

Re: Wade wry humor

leafnose152December 07, 2018 04:26AM