Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – August 12, 2018

August 13, 2018 12:28AM
(On if he was happier today)

“Yeah, it was much better energy today. I think really, coming off of that trip from Baltimore, but then today these guys came out, they had a great walk-thru – good, locked in, in focus and concentration. Then, I thought there was good energy throughout. There’s a lot of things that we could certainly clean up, but I thought just the overall energy, the ability to communicate, just the way that we came out and competed was much better. That’s a credit to the players. They did a good job today.”

(On the importance of veterans and young players being on the same page)

“I think it’s everything because when you’ve got those guys that are really taking ownership of things, that stuff that goes on in the locker room is really powerful. When you’ve got the right guys in those key spots that can influence and affect the locker room in the right way, you know you’re in good hands. We’ve got a handful of guys that are veterans, but then also some younger guys that are stepping into some leadership roles as they’ve continued to accumulate some experience. It’s really just been a great group to work with. Guys always do exactly what we ask and do it to the best of their ability and as a coach, that’s really all you can ask for.”

(On updates on CB Aqib Talib and WR Josh Reynolds)

“Yeah, so (WR) Josh (Reynolds) had a little bit of an ankle tweak in that game the other day. We want to be smart with Josh. So, he’s going to be out for at least a week or so. Then, with (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib), he and (WR) Robert (Woods) got rolled up on in the red zone. Nothing too scary. Just being safe with him. He typically would have a day off tomorrow anyways, but we figured just to be smart. He’s feeling a lot better this afternoon than he was this morning. But, really more just precautionary than anything with him.”

(On Talib’s status)

“Just his ankle. Just kind of a minor thing, but he’ll be okay.”

(On his thoughts being on the field with Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden again)

“Yeah, I think it’s really exciting. I think when it really counts will be Week 1. That’s really exciting. But, just so appreciative of what Coach (Jon) Gruden’s meant to me and to my family and how much he’s kind of put his arm around me and been a huge mentor of mine. I’ve got so much respect for him. Looking forward to getting a chance to go to play our second preseason game, see how these guys do. It will be a lot of fun.”

(On if the plans for playing time in the second preseason game have been finalized yet)

“You know what, we’re going to talk to our players about it. So, we haven’t done that yet. I mean we kind of have an idea, but I’d rather be able to talk to our team and our players and make sure they kind of have an understanding of what the next few days are going to entail. Then, we’ll share that with you guys as well.”

(On playing the same team in the preseason and regular season opener)

“Yeah, it’s an interesting dynamic. There’s a lot of things that go into it, but if you said, ‘Would you prefer to not have your second preseason game against the team you open with?’ The answer would be yes from me (laughs).”

(On if that has ever happened to him before)

“No. I’ve never had anything like that. You’ve had teams that you play the same team in the preseason that you play in the regular season, but that’s usually not until midway through when you’ve accumulated enough film that you can still at least kind of approach it in the same way. But, especially, them a new staff for us going into our second year with some different things. There’s a lot of things to it and while you want to try to be able to get that work in, you’re also mindful of the fact September 10th is the one that goes on the record books.”

(On what DL Michael Brockers means to this defense)

“I think he means a whole lot. You’ve heard us talk about him a lot. I think he’s one of the more underrated players in this league. I think in terms of a dominant presence at the defensive end spot in base, especially on some of those normal down-and-distances. He’s got the position flex to really be able to play all along the line where he can rush. He’s got great strength, gets his hands on balls. I think the one thing too – he’s so impressive with just his leadership, his presence. Anybody that knows (DL) Michael (Brockers) knows he’s got a great personality where you can’t help but kind of be in a good mood when you’re around him. He’s got that contagious enthusiasm in a positive way that rubs off on his teammates. I think he’s really confident in what’s going on and he knows the influence that he has on his teammates. Michael is extremely valuable and important to this team. I think all his teammates would echo that same sentiment. That’s how we feel about Brock.”

(On whether there’s more of an alignment with college football that is helping young players more easily make the transition to the NFL)

“I think each guy is kind of his own individual story and based on the circumstances, the situation he’s placed in. I know this, there’s a lot of really good players that are coming out. You look at some of these guys that have a lot of early success and then you see some guys that might take a little bit of time to get comfortable with different things. But, there’s a lot of talented, young players in this league right now, especially at the quarterback position. It’s certainly exciting for us as coaches and you hope you don’t have to play against too many of those guys.”

(On if he’s wanted CBs Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters to connect off the field)

“I think the biggest thing is you just want those guys to connect with their teammates, but I think they’ve got a mutual respect for each other. Very similar in terms of some of their personalities and things like that, but I don’t know if you really look at it like that. You feel fortunate that they have clicked like that, but I think they’ve clicked as a whole, really with the entire group on the back end. Really, with the defense in general. I think (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib) came in immediately, he was really comfortable. (Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) has done an excellent job immersing himself into the system. The one thing that you say over and over, but it’s so true, especially when you’re talking about those two individuals – they love football. They’re engaged in the meetings. These are guys that they’ve had so much production and they’re so talented, but a large portion of that is because of their above-the-neck approach, their ability to recognize different things, situational awareness. I’ve had fun just getting to know these guys and just kind of picking their brain from an offensive standpoint to kind of see what they’re thinking. You feel like they’re going to make you better just being around guys like that. They’ve certainly got some swagger and confidence and they’re fun to be around as well.”

(On DT Aaron Donald)

“There you go. No update on that one (laughs).”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – August 12, 2018

RamsFootballFans.com276August 13, 2018 12:28AM