Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams DC Gregg Williams will play a lot of defensive backs

September 11, 2016 02:50PM
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- For those concerned about the Los Angeles Rams' linebacking corps in the wake of Akeem Ayers' surprising release last Saturday, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has something for your to consider:

"You have to look at how many teams we’re going to play this year that are going to play two backs in a backfield against us," Williams said. "Not too many people are going to do that against us. Take a look at how many times we’re going to play three linebackers this entire season."

The answer, of course: not very often.

The Rams will frequently go with five defensive backs under Williams, but a key one will be missing in the Monday Night Football opener against the San Francisco 49ers. E.J. Gaines, who missed all of last season because of foot surgery, was officially ruled out on Saturday because of an injury to his thigh. Wide receivers Pharoh Cooper (shoulder) and Nelson Spruce (knee) were also ruled out, as expected, while tackle Rob Havenstein (foot) and linebacker Bryce Hager (concussion) were listed as questionable, though the latter two were full participants in practice.

The Rams will have T.J. McDonald and Maurice Alexander at safety, with Trumaine Johnson the No. 1 cornerback and Lamarcus Joyner playing in the inside nickel spot. Coty Sensabaugh will probably line up on the other side in Week 1, with Troy Hill, Cody Davis and the recently acquired Steve Williams — a Cal product who was drafted by the San Diego Chargers and is heading into his third NFL season – sporadically rotating in.

One of those defensive backs will essentially serve as a third linebacker, alongside Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron.

Williams brought up Pierson Prioleau, who he coached with the Buffalo Bills, Washington Redskins, Jacksonville Jaguars and New Orleans Saints. Prioleau was a defensive back who frequently filled a linebacker spot.

“So I started doing this a long, long time ago,” Williams said. “… Think about all the head-shaking and the head-scratching and the criticizing when I moved Mark Barron in there last year. He’s pretty good, isn’t he? Anybody going to claim that one now? That was a pretty good move? So we’re going to play the best guys we have that they bring in the door. I don’t draft them, I don’t sign them, but when they get here, I’m going to coach them. And if they don’t like how we’re coaching them, too bad.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill482September 11, 2016 02:50PM

GW getting cocky again

Blue and Gold213September 11, 2016 03:00PM